Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Long hair/short hair Chihuahua HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by James Charles, Apr 12, 2019.

1. James Charles

James Charles PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys, my name is James, and I’m new to this forum. I’m in need of some advice.

My partner and I are thinking of breeding our KC registered Chihuahua. She’s registered on the Kennel club as a smooth coat, but she looks more like a long haired Chihuahua. Both her Mum and Dad are smooth coat. Ive checked all the kennel club papers online, going back up the family tree. I can only assume that our precious dog’s mum and dad have a “hidden gene” that has made her a long coat, even though majority of her siblings were smooth coat. 5 puppies as her siblings, 2 long haired looking chihuahuas, and 3 smooth coat looking chihuahuas all registered as smooth coat.

If I was to breed my precious Chihuahua, wouldn’t this affect the time of selling my puppies. People seeing smooth coat puppies, but the mum having a long coat.

Some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

why do you want to breed her? - wanting her to have a litter is not a reason
    what does she bring to the breed that will improve it? - the only real reason to breed, the fact that shes 'pretty' is not a reason either
    have you had all the relevant health tests?= thats TESTS not checks, theres a big difference
    will you be registering all the pups and providing new owners with papers?
    have you got a good breed knowledgeable mentor?-, bearing in mind this breed has a penchance for needing c section
    have you the money for an out of hours c section - around £1000 upwards
    are you prepared to lose both pups and mum?
    are you prepared to hand feed pups if mum doesnt take to them? and, to watch them all die, one by one, from puppy fading syndrome

Theyre just some of the questions you should be asking yourself, not whether or not having a bit longer hair will affect the POS price

#2 mrs phas, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

According to the KC website, two smooths can produce long coated puppies. They can be registered under the correct coat but you will need to contact the KC to see how you do it

4. James Charles

You haven’t answered my question... you’ve just basically written out everything I’ve been through with breeding already...

I’ve come this forum for some friendly advice, but unfortunately the breeding world is just a place for people to judge and be really bitchy.. I’ve asked a question, and would prefer an answer, not a lecture.

5. James Charles

Thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate this. I’ll be ringing them Monday to see what they have to say.

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

She could be a double coated smooth they're more fluffy than a single coated smooth saying that two smooths can produce a long coat but if that's the case she should have been registered as a long coat and if you decided to go ahead with a mating for her if you mated her to a smooth the pups would not be able to be registered. Two long coats can not produce a smooth pup.

Do you have a photo of your bitch?

Torin. likes this.
  7. James Charles

Thank you for your advice. Here’s photos of my girl. She’s the one laying down in first photo.

Attached Files:

8. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

If the breeder was inexperienced she may not have known the pup would be longhaired and registered it as a smooth coat.

I'm not sure if the KC will amend the registration (which is why the owner needs to check). If she is registered as a smooth and is bred to a smooth, the pups can be registered in whatever coat they resemble.

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't breed.

This isn't anything to do with coat length but just by looking at your dog she's far from close to breed standard.

It really wouldn't be worth your money to health test; which really needs doing in the breed as not enough is being doing done for such a popular breed in the UK and why breeders are looking at european lines in the breed so health is now paramount to anything. Although these breeders are few and far between in the UK these are the types of breeders most dog savvy owners will be looking for.

Enjoy her as a pet would be my advice.

10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Considering how many people buy from back yards breeders and puppy farms etc I doubt very much if it would bother people . Some just want a puppy regardless of what the mum looks like . I don't know if it would affect the price of the pup.
    I have a rescue chi that was sold to an old lady as a "rough coated " chihuahua .
    She is very cute and Im not bothered by what she is supposed to be.

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

She looks like a smooth to me so if I was to mate her I would use a smooth kc dog and register the pups as smooths unless you have a definite long coat. I would however think very long and hard before you decide to breed chihuahuas have a lot of problems giving birth we were lucky Honey had her litter without any problems apart from the first pup being born breach which we managed to sort out without the help of a vet but a lot do need ceasarian sections. Even having a section does not always mean everything will go ok I have a friend who breeds Pomeranians and she lost a bitch during a section last year and also lost the pups.

Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice