Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long hair question

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by reemslaw, Sep 7, 2013.

1. reemslaw

reemslaw PetForums Newbie

Hiya all! I would like to introduce you to our new kitty; Nova :)

Her mother is a Seal Mitted Rag Doll, and father is a gorgeous long haired black moggy.

I was wondering (because I know nothing about breeds/hair etc) if Nova will be a long haired cat?

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

two longhair cats will only produce longhair kittens, but the colour of your kitten does not match the parents mentioned. A black (seal) x black mating will not produce tortie, so it's quite possible your kitten will end up short haired as the black boy was not her sire.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hi there -what a gorgeous tortie - I love torties.:001_tt1:

However SC is right - two black cats (seal being genetically black) cannot produce a tortie as neither parent have a red gene to pass on and red cannot be carried (you either have it and show it, or you don't have it). She does look short haired. That will be because dad was probably the local short haired ginger tom, not the long haired black and white.

#3 spid, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

As above 2 long hair cats will only produce long hair kittens, her dad must have been red or her mum a tortie, but you only have the peoples words on the breed, she maybe neither ragdoll nor moggie, she is lovely whatever she is :)

5. reemslaw

I'm not sure what you mean by red? The rag doll i saw myself, gorgeous blonde cat with black nose, paws and tail. The owners said they were really pleased when she bred with next doors long haired black Tom because they thought he was a really handsome cat. Why would they lie?

6. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Dad would be the same colour as this chap

Attached Files:

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I doubt they lied deliberately - they just didn't see EVERY cat that their girl mated with. Cats don't only mate with one boy, if possible they will be little tarts and mate with all and sundry.

Your girls dad was definitely a ginger boy - that's the only way she could have got ginger in her, the genetics scientifically speak for themselves.

8. reemslaw

9. NorthernDarkness

NorthernDarkness PetForums Member

Agreeing with everyone above about the genetics. And I also think she looks like a shorthair.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

That isn't a mitted ragdoll either, so basically they don't know what they have or who she mated, people lie to up the price so say one is a pedigree, and they have zero idea about genetics, and just let them outside to breed whatever with zero health tests :nonod: Some people actually have a neutered pedigree and they let moggies outside to breed and when people come over they say the pedigree is the mum :eek: Its all about the ££

Your cat is gorgeous and I agree with above she does look shorthair aswell, but if mum wasn't a tortie then dad is a red boy, genetics don't lie!

11. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

She's lovely although she is a 'Justa' ...Just a little shorthaired tortie moggy.

As others have said her dad has to be red (ginger) for her to be a Tortie although she doesn't look to have any Raggie in her either. Is her Mum a true raggie or a Raggie cross?

Trust us when we say she has to come from a red parent... I wanted some tortie kittens from our Havana (Chocolate Oriental) so I have just paid £200 stud fees to take her to a Red Point Boy.

If the owners of your kittens Mum was breeding correctly with her Ragdoll she would have done the same rather than letting her out to mate with next doors moggy.

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

So true :( Certainly wouldn't be 'happy' if my girl mated next doors boy, even though its obviously she didn't! :rolleyes:

Oh I know what you mean, the lovely pleasure of my first 2 tortie litters were also £250 stud fee! Stunning babies though!! Do love a tortie :001_tt1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice