Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long hair Patterdales?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My friend a few doors down from me has a Springer Spaniel and 2 Patterdales. Well her partner does really! But same thing.

Patch is a short haired ''normal'' Patterdale, but Blackie is a wire haired! I never knew that Patties could have wire/long hair!!

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah my cousin's dog who is patterdale x (mum was patty, dad a patty x jrt) is wire haired :)

I think his mum is wire haired too.

x

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I don't know a lot about Patties anyway but i really didn't know that!

He is very cute! I will try and get some pics when i next go around.

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

They are meant to but it's a throw back that happens, looks kinda cool if you ask me. :D

5. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Actually, the patterdale terrier is meant to have either rough or broken coat. The smooth is not really needed in hunting as their coat isn't as protective.

6. SpringerHusky

Patterdales are fell terriers yes? my uncle used to breed 'em he always said the opposite and that the longer coat meant more things got trapped in it when sent down a rabbit hole.

I dunno much about 'em just that my uncle used to breed black fell terriers and plummer terriers. I only heard of the breed patterdales last year? I believe they are the same dog correct me if I'm wrong :D

7. Patterdale_lover

Patterdales are not Fell terriers. They are used for the same thing yes. But they are not the same. A fell terrier is about 98% of the time tan and a patty is 95% black, pecentages don't add up. Plus a fell terrier, most of the time has broken coat or wire hair? Have never heard or seen a smooth coated Fell. If you read the book "the patterdale terrier" by sean frain, he said the thicker and denser the coat of the dog, the better, plus popular and well known Patterdale breeders i know, say the thicker the coat the better. The smooth coats i think were bred by Breay or Nuttal with staffy in them, more for the show ring than anything.Although they can be used as workers, they aren't as good and are more prone to catching things.The thicker and rougher coat protects them when out on the crags from harsh weather etc. Causing nasty diseases. Nothing gets caught in the coat unless you actually dig something into it, as it is so close to the body and very thick. Its hard to get anything in it.
    Some people think Pattedales are the same as Fells, they aren't.
    :D

#7 Patterdale_lover, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  8. SpringerHusky

Ah wow, thanks for that.

My uncle is long passed on by I remember him having dogs called fell erriers and they were black with short coats.

I was sure I read somewhere they was the same breed, but that's interesting to know they arn't. It's good to learn more about the rarer/newer brreds of dogs.

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have learnt a lot from this thread! I will take some piccies asap! Of Patch the shorthaired and Blackie the rough coat x

10. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

my oh got 1 that has a broken coat

11. Patterdale_lover

No problem, there has long been a debate about it, but the Patterdale has very distinct features, thar are different from the Fell. Perhaps your uncle was breeding Patterdales and he never knew ;)

Look forward to seeing the pictures :D

My Patterdale Bess is broken coated too :)

12. SpringerHusky

Haha, maybe so.

13. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

our patterdale has a rough coat,i will admit i dont really like the look or feel of it,i clip her quite short,it looks neater and feels nicer:)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice