UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, over the past weekend I unfortunately lost my female cockatiel (Kiwi)- she managed to get out of the back door. Needless to say I'm devastated about it but i'm pleased to say that I still have a male cockatiel (Coco). Despite searching and putting Coco out in his cage in the garden she hasn't come back. I'm now faced with Coco calling for Kiwi quite a bit although it has only been a few days and I guess he will calm down eventually. I'm giving him lots of attention but I'm worried that he will get lonely. Kiwi and Coco had been together since they hatched (although I understand that they weren't related) and I don't know how he's going to be on his own. I was quite young the last time I had a male cockatiel on his own. Does anyone have any advice about where I go from here? I don't know whether to look at getting another female (do they bond quite quickly or would it not work out)? Another idea would be to get a different bird like a Conure but again i have no idea whether they get on with cockatiels. If I did get a different parrot they would be in seperate cages. Perhaps Coco will be okay on his own? I'm hoping to build a better bond with him as it was difficult when Kiwi was here as they only had eyes for each other (aaaahhhh!!). Does anyone know what I should do? Thanks! Kristi

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Kiwi...I lost my first ever HR cockatiel (Snoopy) when I was about 15 and it absolutely devastated me so I totally sympathise.

'd defin get another and he should have no problems accepting them however I'd keep them in seperate cages for a week or so so they can properly introduce themselves from a safe distance.

Kelly

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Aww sorry that you lost your bird..:( i remember my C'teil got out to never got her back..:(

I would really stick to him being alone he will calm down he just lost his mate he maybe get better .They say if you want to tame you cocateil then 1 is better ..i was thinking of getting Spike my C'teil a mate but hes really tame and i done want him to not engnore me..:eek: hes my buddy..:thumbsup: well good luck in what ever you do xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments ad sympathy. Coco is still screaming a bit and i'm conscious of not running to him everytime he does it or i'll be doing that for the rest of my life!!! He does seem to be coming to me and my partner more (flying onto our heads or coming upstairs with me) so I don't think I will get another one just yet. Thanks for the info aon the lost and found- i didn't realise there was that facility there- unfortunately, the Aylesbury cockatiel was found a week before Kiwi went missing but its certainly worth me contacting John to get Kiwi added. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.