Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lonely goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Stina, May 9, 2020.

1. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

I know this sounds utterly ridiculous, but I kind of want to get a friend for my goldfish. She comes diving towards me every time I walk past, and hangs static staring at me when I’m on the couch. I know goldfish can be fairly violent when another fish comes into their space, so has anyone got any tips on how to do it without ending up with two dead fish?

2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

First of all welcome to PF,
    Getting a new fish is a big thing. A few things to consider before getting one is. Is your tank big enough? Can your filter handle the bioload? Tank parmiters suitable for another species of fish?
    I would highly recommend a community fish but could you answer a few questions to help us out?
    What is your tank size?
    Do you have live plants in your tank?
    What filter do you have currently?
    It is nice that you are thinking about your fish, and I am sure your Goldie will be happy with the new tank mate you choose.

magpie likes this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

In addition to the above questions, can you also let us know what kind of goldfish you have? Is it a 'normal' goldfish, with a long body and single tail fin, or one of the fancy, double-tailed varieties?

Goldfish are actually very social and rarely aggressive towards other goldfish and they usually do great in groups, but the different types do have different space requirements and to a certain extent, different requirements.

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh, and it's totally not ridiculous, I'm always trying to keep things interesting for my goldfish with new plants for their tank, new decor, different foods, etc, so I completely understand wanting your fish to be happy & have a friend :D

LinznMilly and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  5. George Duke-Cohan

As a great fish once said "Fish are friends, not food". :Hilarious

Stina likes this.
  6. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. And for making me feel less of an eejit!

Her name is actually Goldie. She came home with us from a carnival and I genuinely wasn’t expecting her to live long enough to get attached to! Now she’s about 2 years old and huge. Her body, not including her tail, is about 7cm. I tried to take a photo to show you her shape and this is the best I could get. Who knew a goldfish could be camera shy?
    She’s in a 30L Biorb at the moment, but I think she’s probably getting too big for it, all by herself. So I thought maybe that getting a friend for her at the same time as getting her a bigger tank might make sense?

Attached Files:

7. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I've never had fish, so know nothing, but I just read this and thought it was lovely that you're thinking of Goldie's welfare. Too many people think owning a fish is easy and neglect them. I hope you find her a lovely friend. She's a pretty fish.

8. George Duke-Cohan

So cute. Also wow, goldfish don't normally live for too long when from a carnival so you are clearly doing something right. I would probably sudjest getting another goldfish and highly recommend a bigger tank when doing so. Best to setup the tank first and ensure it is fully cycled before getting another fish. If you do plan on getting another goldfish try to get one of the same species as it will help to reduce stress. Local fish stores (when open) should have a nice selection for you to choose from. They can get big as you know so try and ensure that they have nice amount of swimming room but also places as to hide when they need time to rest and feel safe. I am not too shore on the type of goldfish you have but I will take a look for you. PF community is always happy to help out. :D

9. George Duke-Cohan

I think it is just a common goldfish, I did think it was a comet but does not look like it has a long tail fin. Possibly Carassius auratus but again can not be 100% sure.

10. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

I’m reliably informed that if a carnival goldfish lives more than a week, it’ll live for a decade. My boyfriend had one as a kid and the last he saw it, because his Mam moved, it was 13 years old and living in the neighbour’s pond because it had gotten far too big for any tank.

11. George Duke-Cohan

Yes, this is true sometimes but also you have to factor in that it may live a long life but if the environment becomes unable to support the fish then it could pass away. But clearly you have kept your tank in good condition and hopefully it will continue to live for a long healthy life.

12. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

I finally got a couple of pictures that show her shape a bit better. Turns out it was a two person job!

Attached Files:

13. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

Thank you!!!

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  14. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

She is a very pretty comet goldfish, and they are indeed pond fish as they can grow to a foot long!

As she will get very large, ideally you could do with a very large tank for her. Single tailed goldfish like her are generally recommended to have around 100-150 litres per fish with a filter rated for double the size of the tank, which sounds like an awful lot but they are big fish that produce an great deal of waste!
    I would hold off on getting any more fish until you have a new tank all set up & fully cycled. I'm not sure how biorbs work but I'm not sure you'd be able to transfer any filter media so you may need to cycle a new tank from scratch. Do you have a test kit at home? It's a really good idea to have one to hand so you can check your water quality.

All goldfish are carassius auratus ;) The varieties may look very different from each other, but they are all the same species and can all breed with each other too.

15. Stina

Stina PetForums Newbie

Eeeeek! How on earth do I check what sex they are so I don’t end up with 20 foot long goldfish?!? I really had no idea she could get that big when I was popping balloons with darts.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  16. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Tell me about it! My first two goldfish started out in a 20 litre tank... I now have 5 in a 450 litre monster :D

The good news is you don't really need to worry about them reproducing in a tank, because they are truly terrible parents and will eat their eggs or any fry that actually manage to hatch :eek: In a pond the fry have more chance of surviving, especially if there are lots of plants for them to hide in.

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice