Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lol why do people do this??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Halo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Halo

Halo PetForums Junior

Twice this has happened to me lol
    Having a conversation with 2 completely different people and both conversations went the same

Person : " I have a new puppy! "
    Me: "Oh lovely! What is it? Whered you get it?!"
    Person: "Such a such"
    Me: Oh nice! Whats the kennel name!? Id like to have a look! Have they got website?
    Person: Errr no? How do I find out wot the kennels name is?
    Me: Look on the certificate
    Person: Just says 'Pedigree certificate'
    Me: Is it not Kennel club?
    Person: Its a pedigree certificate
    Me: Yes but does it say Kennel club? An official Document?
    Person: Erm Not sure? Dont think so, I'll phone the breeders for it........

Me *WINCE* Oh dear. :rolleyes:

2. Linden_Tree

Linden_Tree PetForums Member

Do you mean why are people nosy and judgemental, rather than just being polite and friendly and just sharing in the joy of having a new puppy?

Yes, i hate people like that too, and wince at their holier than thou attitudes.

Sarah1983 likes this.
  3. Halo

Halo PetForums Junior

Actually I reassured her that 'Non pedigree' dogs can outlive/be healthier than 'Pedigree dogs' that have had all the health testing in the world.
    But its another person thats been duped into believing they have the 'best' on paper when it isnt. And she is feeling a little let down now by the back yard breeder, but she now knows for next time

4. Prowl

Prowl Guest

]The pedigree to me just means the dogs have been health checked against hereditary conditions prone within the breed.

But lots of people my mum and family members included believe their getting a better healthier dog when they buy pedigree and happy to chuck lots of money at it without fully understanding.

When choosing my first dog mum insisted we get a pedigree I told her then that the prices were too high and we were not breeding or showing. I still feel we paid a lot for our dog and if the prices were not so high and so many breeders dishonest(I am aware their are lots of honest and good ones too!)) I would be more then glad to get a pedigree again.

I think their should be seperate prices for pet dogs and show dogs.

I have said it before though I'm getting a rescue dog next as not fussed over what breed to get next and I don't wish to spend that kind of money again when their are so many good dogs waiting for a home in rescues.

5. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I would never even think to ask someone about the kennel club name if they got a new puppy lol, I think most people looking for a pet probably don't really know about kc or about all the health tests, I certainly didn't before I joined here.

6. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I do ask about pedigree names, but only for roughs as I like to see if they are related to mine! ;)

Also I like to see if I can guess on their 'type' where they come from too.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't have liked it if someone I didn't know asked me all those questions when Dillon was a puppy, its got nothing to do with anyone else anyway.:mad:

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Some odd statements in here. Why should a pedigree mean it is from health tested parents.
    Buying a dog is not all about money, you seem a bit confused over it.

9. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

No it doesn't!

Amazing the misconceptions people have! :rolleyes:

It means two pedigree dogs have been bred! If you go to a good breeder you still need to check the health checks have been done. AND see documentary evidence.

Lots of pedigree digs are churned out by puppy farmers.

Also, I know Bess's kennel name as I show her! I didn't necessarily remember the kennel names of my other dogs!

#9 BessieDog, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Lol good job you havnt met my dog not sure farmers give out certificates does sound like you're being a bit snooty to me sorry.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Why? If you buy a dog for a pet from a show kennel then the pet home dogs have been reared with as much care as the show home dogs.

12. Halo

Halo PetForums Junior

Same here, i love looking at the different lines.
    Its a good jobi know her then isnt it, and she told me about it specifically because she knows i already had this breed before, Dobermann. To which she asked me specific questions about the breed and what to expect.

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would have been made very uneasy by having been questioned by a stranger about my new puppy in so much detail - unless they were into their RRs where I'd be able to understand it a little better. When strangers ask too many detailed questions I either become suspicious or just annoyed as they tend to be the "expert" type who want to do your puppy down in some way.

ETA: Just saw that you said you know her in the post above mine and have talked in some detail. That wasn't clear in the original post!

14. Prowl

Prowl Guest

And that, I know that pedigree dogs are involved breeding pedigree.

What I disagree is in exhange for a few documents to prove pedigree it justifies some breeders charging extra ££££££ for their dogs.

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is totally missing the point unless you are buying from a BYB / puppy farmer type breeder. From a good breeder it means that the dogs have been proven in some way e.g., in the ring, health tested and much thought put into the breeding. They shouldn't have just stuck two dogs together - I know of one who has driven her bitch to Bavaria to a stud dog for instance as she felt that that was the best pairing. It also hopefully means that you gain a lifetime of support for that dog.

#15 Dogless, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  16. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

You've been going to the wrong breeders. If someone is charging extra for the papers I would run a mile from that breeder.

Have a look at some of the crossbreed ads - many fashionable crosses are selling for far more than bog standard pedigree dogs.

For some reason I think you have a downer on pedigree breeders, but I suggest you check your facts first.

17. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I guess I just feel that if I im not going to breed or show a pedigree dog why I should have to pay a small fortune for the dog. I have seen so many pedigree dogs go for a lor of money as well as a lot of cross breeds.

As a pet owner I feel a fair price is needed. I honestly would have been happy getting a rescue originally but my parents would not let me they insisted we get a pedigree dog.

She was a lot all though her breed seems to go for more now I just think a lot of pet homes are missing out because of extraudinary prices.

18. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Please note I did say some breeders meaning not all I am aware that their are some very good honest breeders out their.

It is a fact that a lot of pedigree breeders do charge a lot of their dogs I have seen some toy breeds sell for thousands >.>

19. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I think you are missing the point. If you get a dog from a reputable breeder - whether for show or as a pet, that breeder will have invested years prior to breeding making sure their breeding stock is the best possible. Thousands may well have been spent on health testing and vet care looking after the bitch prior, during and after whelping.

Many breeders do not even cover their costs when the pups are sold - despite what you think are high price tags for the pups! Why should they sell some pets cheaper when they all cost the same to raise?

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Because you are still getting a quality dog, whose breeding has been carefully planned and who has been reared with the same effort as the pet dogs who are also going to be shown or bred. All the dogs are pets first and foremost (hopefully).

All the people who knock me for having paid a "small fortune" for my dogs wouldn't think twice about spending the same amount on a holiday, huge TV or sound system - yet it is "wrong" to spend that on a dog. I find that very odd TBH.

You pay whatever you think your dog is worth, no one makes people spend what they do, it is their choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice