Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loki’s Tummy again

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Boxer123, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:28 AM.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

03E3BA2E-4F11-4AE9-B82E-37E3E27AE53C.jpeg The vet prescribed some new anti acid meds. All seemed to be going well. Except about once a week loki has a bad night. Last night he woke me up at 11 and was pacing around for about an hour was then sick and went back to sleep.

Getting him to eat continues to be interesting some days he eats well other days I am cooking for him it’s costing a fortune.

I’m getting myself quite upset and worried If it is ‘just bilious’ vomiting I don’t want to put him through further tests the vet was talking about next steps being a camera into his tummy. I know @McKenzie you had something similar did you do further tests?

In himself he is ok although quiet today. He poops fine and has energy.

McKenzie likes this.
  2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Are you giving him the same food every day? I wonder if it would be worth keeping a food/activity diary to see if you can pinpoint what causes the bad night.

Is he still on raw/home cooked? I wonder if he would do better on a limited ingredient commercial food?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I try and give him the same food but when he won’t eat I end up offering him anything to get him to eat or he vomits from not eating. He point blank refuses canned food he did go through a stage where he would but now won’t.

So now he is on raw or he eats maybe boiled turkey or beef if he’s refusing. A food diary is a good idea. I’m getting in such a pickle with it. Some days he has no vomiting or issues at all but is just fussy. I don’t want him not to eat so he ends up with a platter and will eat whatever off that.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is it possible he goes off his food because he's feeling sicky for whatever reason, which then continues as a not fun cycle? :(

Since getting older, my mum's dog Ripley used to get a noisy tummy and refuse her meals once or twice a week. Since switching her to magic Chappie, she's been absolutely fine! Try her on something else and she'll feel poorly again, but then seems fine when she's back on the Chappie! Dogs, eh.

Is he getting any supplements, pro/prebiotics or anything like that? Yudigest, bionic biotic, slippery elm etc. Might be worth a look if you've not tried already :)

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes I think this is it he feels sicky so won’t eat cycle. If he would eat Chappie I would be so happy. I might try when he’s having a good day. He’s not on anything else what is slippery elm ?

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

It's a herbal supplement, supposed to be very good for upset tummies and digestion!
    (This is just one brand, there are lots of others too)

Powder: https://www.dorwest.com/product/tre...MI_-_Suq797gIVV-DtCh0KTQP0EAAYASADEgLHr_D_BwE

Tablets with peppermint and ginger: https://www.dorwest.com/product/digestive-tablets-for-dogs-and-cats/

Boxer123 likes this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Well, I'm a meanie and I would pick something that agrees with him and stick to it.
    Especially since his energy and poops are good. I think the upset tummy part is real for him, but I also think he's has gotten in to the habit of playing you so you have a vicious cycle of him getting maybe a tiny tummy twinge but out of habit he makes it worse with his food games.
    I would stop trying to 'make' him eat. You're stressing yourself (and him) out worrying about him missing a meal. He's a healthy boy, clearly not emaciated, a missed meal isn't going to hurt him other than you'll be up cleaning up bile pukes. Healthy dogs bile puke, it's okay :)

For the empty tummy pukes, I'd get some good quality dog treats and offer one of those right before bedtime as part of his routine (so he doesn't associate it with meal times and you getting him to eat). Something like this: https://www.hollywoodfeed.com/p/65414/hollywood-feed-pennsylvania-made-dog-treat-turkey-burgers
    It's real food, limited ingredients, good for him, and he'll probably love 'em. If he doesn't eat his, offer it to Sox and give him nothing. If he has any type of FOMO you'll only have to give his refused treat to Sox once or twice before he figures that game out.

Do the same with meals. Offer him his regular food walk away. Ignore him. After 10 minutes, pick it back up and that's it until the next meal time. Remove all the drama from meals that you can. Meals should be food down, let him eat in peace (or not eat, but you don't participate at all either way), and then bowl gets put away.
    Keep giving him the antacid. That will help somewhat with the bile pukes, but you'll likely have some unsettled nights, try not to stress. Keep reminding yourself that he's healthy and energetic.
    I'd give it about 3 weeks of a no-drama food routine and see if that makes any difference in his willingness to eat at meal times.

Once you get him eating reliably, I'd be tempted to feed just one food and see if that helps at all.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Twenty years ago an old vet of ours used to recommend Chappie before doing anything else (and it was pretty much the cheapest thing on the shelf)! I thought it might have changed by now, wasn't sure it still existed, but glad to see it's still working wonders.

BlueJay likes this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I suggested Dorwest Tree Bark Powder in January, it contains Slippery Elm powder. Did you try it? Also Bionic Biotic.

O2.0, Boxer123 and BlueJay like this.
  10. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Maci has Dorwest Tree Bark Powder and he does well on it.

Boxer123 and SusieRainbow like this.
  11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh @O2.0 you are a meanie are you saying you would home cook four meals a day for Loki :D honestly I try not to stress to much but I’m worrying about everything at the moment and this is one of my big worries.

What if I’m writing it off as hunger pukes and it isn’t?

Good advice I will try not to stress so much he is not under weight if anything a bit chunky. Most mornings he doesn’t want his breakfast just a walk first that’s ok but last night he refused to eat I knew we would be up all night.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

BDA5CD3C-5272-457B-B5E9-E4609D6EF83E.jpeg
    I didn’t he really settled in January but now it’s back I will definitely order some I feel a bit like I’m floundering in the dark with his tummy problems.

He’s perked up now completely distrusted my training session online.

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would be more worried if he was showing signs of pain, lethargy at times, or having trouble with the elimination end of things, but he's not. He's otherwise healthy, silly, full of energy and personality, and he has plenty of reserves to skip a meal here and there.

I think a good probiotic/digestive supplement is a good idea for him too. Definitely keep him on the antacids. I know a few boxers who stay on antacids for reflux - it's not uncommon in the breed.

I hate you're worried about it, really try not to, think of all the indications that he is a healthy, happy boy. And try not to be around him while he eats either, he will definitely pick up on your worries, they are so in-tune to us!

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Thank you I will definitely get on it with the probiotics.

I know I need to chill the last few weeks my anxiety has been out of control I think I need to take up drinking :rolleyes:

DanWalkersmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Might be interesting to see if his unsettled tummy days coincide with your high anxiety days :)
    Dogs really do connect with us, he may just be responding to your anxiety with some of his own that manifests with a little extra bile and less appetite.

Sarah H likes this.
  16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Weekends seem to be trigger days I don’t think I’m more stressed at the weekend he does have slightly more exercise on weekends. He definitely is sensitive it also gets worse if he gets upset (smoke alarm going off)

O2.0 likes this.
  17. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

I freeze kefir in ice cube trays and give this in his meal a few times a week, it helps balance the bacteria in their gut, you can get it in the supermarket.

SusieRainbow and Boxer123 like this.
  18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry @Boxer123 I missed this.

Have you tried one of the hydrolysed diets? I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but they literally changed my dogs’ lives. Maybe worth a try before getting invasive?

I would not be surprised if it’s a combination of an ingredient upsetting his tummy, along with billious vomiting. Hydrolysed diets have solved both these issues for both my dogs.

When he won’t eat, is it possible to get him to a vet for an antinausea injection? Otherwise you end up in a vicious cycle.

19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The vet prescribed us some tinned food but he just won’t eat it. I wish he would I do think it would solve some of our problems. I mix kibble in with his raw as I know the raw is digested quickly. I offer him charcoal biscuits throughout the day he has a little nibble if I break them up.

I know chicken is a trigger so avoid that. He’s never gone a whole day without eating yet he will normally eat around lunch if he’s had a bad night.

He ate well yesterday evening and has had a good nights sleep eaten his breakfast this morning.

McKenzie likes this.
  20. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The tinned food is horrible, I’m not surprised he won’t eat it. Both of mine scoff their hydrolysed kibble - and Elliot was a puppy who survived mostly on fresh air for his first year before I figured out he was highly intolerant to all forms of fish.

I really think it’s worth a try - what you’ve tried so far hasn’t worked. Elliot is on RC Hypoallergenic and Kenz is on RC Anallergenic (more expensive than the Hypoallergenic).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice