Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lockdown games

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jason25, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

So what are you doing with your dogs to keep them occupied during lockdown?

We are only having two short walks around the block, early morning and late at night.

After a morning walk she will happily chill until about 11ish. We then play fetch in the garden, I have to use two toys cos she won’t drop it unless she sees the other one :Shifty @Tillystar we are using the kong ball you gave us, it’s so cool she has so much drive for it!!

We do a bit of training in the afternoon, but nothing major hopefully we will do more over the next few weeks. Finished with a game of tug.

In the evening we play a massive game of tug. Usually about 30 minutes. Last night she played for about 45 minutes and still wanted more :rolleyes::Hilarious

We will go for a walk after that and then repeat the next day :D

what are you doing?

Tillystar likes this.
  2. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I do about 15 minutes of training with breaks and 10 mins of play in the morning. A walk at lunch for an hour then more play/training in the evening. That's for the 6 month old pup. My 5 year old dog sleeps pretty much until the lunchtime walk then is happy to sleep again until the evening when she'll want a quick play or training session. For a high energy terrier she's pretty lazy at home!

Jason25 likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I thought there was no limit on exercise times.

Cleo38 likes this.
  4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’m just doing my bit and staying in as much as possible.

Calvine, tabelmabel and Torin. like this.
  5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Same as normal tbh. I live in a rural location so go out as often & for as long I choose to, I rarely see anyone which is how I like it anyway.

There is lots of stuff on FB (free) if people want to try something different scentwork, obedience, etc. There are also loads of webinars & podcasts on dog training/behaviour/spots ..... far too many actually as I just don't have time to fit them all in :D

Jason25 likes this.
  6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm only out once a day at the moment, we go out for about an hour switching between sniffari and training and keeping close to home.
    At the moment I set myself the task of doing #100daysofdogtraining so I pick a behaviour that I want to teach or brush up on and then do short sessions through the day.

So far I have been doing lots of scentwork foundations and capturing a tongue poke so that we can stick our tongues out together :Hilarious

Jason25 and Sarah H like this.
  7. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I have been lucky enough to walk on the local golf course which is lovely. Other than that the usual stair football, hide and seek - treats or ball, and cuddles.

tabelmabel and Jason25 like this.
  8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’m feeling quite jealous lol, theres got to be over a thousand people on my street alone lol.

Police are also starting to do random stops and pulling people over around here, all I can think of is them seizing daisy because she’s a staffy and would be barking in the boot (she will bark when people approach the car) and prefer not to chance it so I’m just sticking to the 2 walks around the blocks for now :oops:
    I don’t use Facebook but do you have any links that I can check out? Always up for trying something new :D

The 100 days of dog training sounds pretty fun, I’ve got a lot more time on my hands at the moment so I think I might try something like that as well :D

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Loki loves sniffy games I hide food around the garden they spend ages sniffing it out and I get some peace ! Loki enjoys indoor football but if Sox gets involved it gets silly: Loki has loads of antler chews they have lasted ages. They like their wobblers. We also have extra cuddles. @MissKittyKat gave me some great doggy massage tips.

MissKittyKat and Jason25 like this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

https://aniedireland.wordpress.com/100daysofenrichment/
    ^^ This might suit you, @Jason25? If you're on FB there's a group for the challenge with a bunch of people who started from day 1 again on the 1st Jan? It's what I was doing with Cad in the first lockdown before we started serious scentwork. It's good because someone else has done all of the thinking of ideas for you!

Jason25 likes this.
  11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Im doing the same as you @Jason25 and staying in as much as possible and just walking from the house.

Whilst doing this, i have had a very nice surprise. This week im having to do some emergency work which i wasnt expecting so am pushed for time and cant get down onto the golf course. (Very lucky to have the golf course during lockdown as it really is a fabulous space for Till especially)

So i have only managed to get along the old railway line which runs alongside the estate where i live. It literally is 20 mins (10 mins one way, 10 mins back)

Very uninspiring and not a walk i would ever do in normal times. However, it is used by a lot of dog walkers for toilet walks and it must be full of sniffs as Till has come back from that and, i kid you not, she has literally keeled over and slept more deeply than when she has done a 5 miler on the golf course (i hasten to add i dont walk 5 miles on the golf course. I do about 2 and tills runs about all over)

So she has had that railway walk plus a bit of ball thrower on the grass at the end of my street. I am still working with her on the stop whistle. This has been ongoing for 3 years now!!

She did her best ever on monday when the grass was still iced up as she was a bit more lacklustre in her drive so she was actually able to stop whilst chasing a thrown ball. That isnt typical though. Really she is only at the stage of stopping if she sets off after the ball has landed.

Today she had has a bit of tuggy but, generally nothing really much exercise wise at all this week and she has been good and settled.

She does get a bit of training as i go - so she never gets fed in a bowl for e,g. Today it was the kong wobbler. Sometimes i fling it on the floor. Sometimes it's in a dispensing ball toy. Sometimes she earns it for various things throughout the day.

Murph isnt needing anything special. He always sleeps his day away once he comes back from any walk!

Jason25 and Boxer123 like this.
  12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we had Dillon and there was snow and heavy frost and we couldn't take him out for a few days we found Hide and Seek with a toy great fun we had lots of fun hanging toys over door handles and watching running round looking for them on the floor kept his interest for ages.

Jason25 likes this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Most of what I've seen relates to FB groups or webinars although am sure there must be other stuff posted on YouTube or other forms of social media.
    You might want to buy the book "Brain Games for Dogs" by Claire Arrowsmith, it has some great ideas for dogs of all abilities.

Jason25 likes this.
  14. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

That’s ideal thanks! I’m not on Facebook I stopped using it years ago, found it very depressing lol.
    Hope your scent work is going well :)

You’ve reminded me about the impulse control, we should get the flirt pole out again. But then again I’m not sure if I want the garden ripped up :Hilarious

I bought a rubber feeder treat ball thing a few days back, it keeps daisy really busy for a while. Only problem is now she will get the ball and drop it in front of me expecting me to put a treat in it without me asking :D

I keep forgetting I got this book, I’ve got that and control unleashed, I never think about picking them up reading them :Facepalm thanks

Cleo38, tabelmabel and Torin. like this.
  15. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Whoops badly phrased. I provided the website link because of you having said that you weren't on FB, but was sharing the FB info for anyone else reading the thread who's following guidelines and staying home, also looking for ideas.

I keep getting stuck with scentwork and not moving in to the next exercises :rolleyes:

Jason25 likes this.
  16. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

:D
    I need to start learning some more scent games for daisy, she loves using her nose. At the moment she can find toys and seek out hidden dog treats.

I’ve got a new rabbit hide in a sealed bag, could I use that for any scent games? I was going to use it for making a tug but never got round to it lol

17. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’ve had a flick through the book this morning and picked out two things for us to learn over the next few days. Weaving/zigzagging through cones and jumping over a stick. Should be fun :D

Cleo38 likes this.
  18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's great! I love that book as it's got some really good ideas you can do indoor or outside :)

Jason25 likes this.
  19. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I think it’s gonna kill some time over the next few weeks. I haven’t got any cones at the moment, but gonna get a set ordered. We tried using cushions but didn’t go so well lol.

She did the jumping over a stick really well, nailed it first time and wasn’t afraid of it. She’s jumping the height of a flat cushion, but tomorrow we plan on trying a bit higher (done it indoors today so kept it low, but will do it on the garden tomorrow so can probably get away with it being higher)

we have just finished a game of tug and now she’s flaked out :D
    FB043946-D5EF-4C81-8343-4464ACFEAD4D.jpeg

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think my cones were from ebay, under a tenner & I've used them alot. Am lucky in that I have an outbuilding so can store all sorts of crap that comes in useful for dog training :D

Torin. and Jason25 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice