Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Location of filter

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Annicc, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Annicc

Annicc PetForums Newbie

Hi, first time fish tank owner so I have no idea what I'm doing, but have read loads on here so I am learning. I am struggling to know where to place the filter in the tank. It's an Aqua One with a ready built filter that sticks to the side of the tank and the instructions, such as they are, seem to indicate that it should sit near the top of the water, but fully submerged. My problem is that there seems to be a number of options for the add-on bits and I'm not sure if I even need any of them, or what they're even for. Also will the filter move the water enough to oxygenate it? I'm looking at 2-3 fancy Goldfish with a view to moving to a bigger tank once I've got my head round everything. It seems a lot more 'hands on' than I imagined it would be- my Border Collie is easier to look after!

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi and welcome :)

Do you have a make and model number for the filter, so we can be sure what type it is? Or could you post a pic? If it's a hang-on waterfall type, the intake needs to be submerged but the top should be above the surface so the water can cascade down, which creates water movement at the surface for oxygenation :)

What size is the tank? Because goldfish need a lot more space than most people realise - you might be better off looking into other options. Tropical or temperate fish are often easier to keep than goldies :)

3. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 PetForums Senior

If the filter has some extra tubing bits or a venturi value at the top, this is suppose to draw air into the outflow of the pump causing more disturbance on the water surface. But anything like that or other air pumps that put bubbles in the water do not actually aid in oxygenating the water. Gas exchange occurs on the surface of the water (and water agitation is thought to help), which is also why rounded tanks (fish bowl shaped tanks, or those god-awful bioOrbs) have the least surface area available for gas exchange. The best tanks are the oblong shaped ones. Oxygenating plants will also help (eg elodea).

I would steer clear of any goldfish whatsoever unless you are prepared to shell out for a tank that is more than 200L (for 3 fancy goldfish you will need even bigger, and for comet shaped goldfish you need a pond and nothing less), and even keeping them in a small tank temporarily will do them more harm than good long term.

If you want cold water or temperate fish (ie fish that are fine at typical room temperature) there are a variety of smaller, easier, more hardy species that rival goldfish in their charms. Take a look at these links for ideas.

How to set up a temperate tank - that looks tropical! | Features | Practical Fishkeeping
    The Subtropical Aquarium; A cooler kind of fishkeeping
    Coldwater Aquariums - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
    Alternatives to coldwater fish

And adding a heater will drastically expand the range of interesting fish you can keep, many of which are small and hardy species that will really put on a show for you. Really, goldfish are just about the worst fish a beginner can go for, and you will end up with sick, dying or dead fish, or else a massive hole in your pocket trying to provide them what they need.

4. Annicc

Annicc PetForums Newbie

Hi Naomi, thanks for the advice. The tank is 60 litres and the filter is a 101F/102F which came with the Aqua One tank. It fits inside the tank via 4 suction pads.

5. Annicc

Annicc PetForums Newbie

Hi Phoenix, thanks for the advice. Just refreshed the page and read your post!

6. NaomiM

Agreed with Phoenix - 60l is too small for even one goldie, but you could have a lovely tropical or temperate setup. My trop tank is 70l and I will soon be setting up a 135l temperate tank, there's plenty of small species for either that are much easier to keep than goldfish and look fantastic :)

7. NaomiM

Forgot to add, please do a fishless cycle before getting any fish - it's the most humane way of setting up a new tank, and though it takes a bit of patience, it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run. Info here: Tropical Fish Forums UK - Setting up your new Aquarium

8. Phoenix24

Oooh eh, have I converted you to temperate fish Naomi? :D I really think you should try getting some rainbow shiners (Notropis chrosomus) hehe

9. Annicc

Annicc PetForums Newbie

Thanks you two- I am indebted to you both for your time and advice and I am looking into the tropical option! I don't remember all this messing when I was a lad but that was a long time ago:) I'm looking forward to it actually!

10. NaomiM

I have looked at rainbow shiners as my local MA has some in, but not sure they'd have enough swimming space as the tank is only 70cm long - I'd want them to be happy! :) I'm currently looking at American flag fish instead - really interesting, hardy little fish and they eat algae too which is a bonus :) Got to finish redecorating the dining room before I set it up, though... :Yawn: :sleep: :closedeyes:

11. Phoenix24

You're right - they like about 3ft to be happy (my tank is just a little short really, at 81cm, but they're coping :) )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice