Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Local pet sitting?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by monoxecho, Mar 25, 2019.

1. monoxecho

monoxecho PetForums Newbie

Hi all!
    I am posting here because I am looking to get some work experience by pet sitting. I am 17, but I cannot drive (which is a small downside on many sites.) However, I can do pet sitting on weekends, if they are local - I live in Ealing, London. I have experience with cats as I have had 3 in my life and also a hedgehog. I have also taken care of my neighbour's fish in the past. Thank you to anyone who finds an interest in this thread.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @monoxecho and welcome :)

As you would be offering this P/T service to people you don't know (strangers) It would be better to set yourself up officially first as a small business. Then you can formulate your own Terms and Conditions of Service so cat owners would know exactly what you would be contracting to do for them.

You should also state clearly your hourly rates and how long each visit will last. And you should provide a formal agreement for you and the client to sign.

You would need to get yourself insured in case anything were to go wrong while you were in charge, and the pet owner were to make a claim of negligence etc against you.

As your clients would be entrusting you with access to their home while they are away you'd need to provide a couple of 'good character' references from professionals who know you well such as e.g. your Head Teacher, vicar/priest etc. .

And even though you are under 18 and still at school, many clients may require a DBS check on you too. (these can be done on 17 yr olds)

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service/about

#2 chillminx, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice