Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Local Notts female Jack Russell terrier needs help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by love-dogs49, Mar 14, 2019.

1. love-dogs49

love-dogs49 PetForums Newbie

I have a beautiful female Jack Russell terrier named Saffie. She is 20 months old. However she still desperately needs help with building her confidence around meeting new people. She's great with other dogs and loves to play.

If anyone can offer help or advice on any local Nottingham dog walking groups it may be useful. Maybe also a local Care home or similar that would be happy to meet dogs, as visitors might help. As mentioned she's great with dogs but still a little nervous and jumpy around people. She really just needs to meet more actual people generally I think. More one on one encounters with people who will fuss her etc.. Any Advice and help would be much be appreciated.

I live near Crown island Nottingham NG8 Area. I also drive.

I do attend local parks for lead, and off lead walks with Saffie. Perhaps offers of dog walks with others locally.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I will move your question to the appropriate sub-forum - dog training and behaviour.
    However, I don't feel that forcing human contact on her would be helpful ( as in a care home setting like you suggest ) but would increase her anxiety.
    She needs to learn to relax around people , or be given an alternative strategy . Walking with someone with a calm dog is a good idea, or taking her somewhere where you can just sit and watch people go by without paying her attention.
    Hopefully you will get plenty of advice on this from others but for now take things at her pace, don't rush her , and respect her need for a quiet life.:)
    I have a dachshund who is similar in temperament , she is petrified of small noisy children , so I minimise her exposure to them.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's the opposite actually. Random strangers leaning towards and touching and trying to pet an already anxious dog tends to exacerbate their fear - well it would wouldn't it. The dog is trying to communicate that they would rather be given space and the human is overriding their communication and moving in anyway. From this point it can go either way - some dogs will submit to the touch but show a lowered body language and other will back away, growl and often snap.

The best way to help your young dog get over her anxiety around strangers is to start to give her some space away from them. Stop strangers overriding her communication and instead teach her that she doesn't have to be fearful of them because they aren't going to touch her. In time this does give our dogs some of their confidence back as they feel less stressed. Seeing people from a distance is perfect. With some people she may choose to instigate interaction by going up to them and in this way she can get to choose.

J

4. love-dogs49

Thank you for your reply and for moving my post. The advice is much appreciated.

My dog is fine walking past people when out walking on the lead and also if she's off the lead at the park. She doesn't bark at them or growl, she just seems very happy. However, if I go out my front door and there are adjacent neighbour's standing outside their door's, then she will bark at them as if startled. Any bangs or sudden noises may also cause her to jump and bark. Perhaps someone appearing from nowhere, for instance, will cause her to growl or bark.

Outside my front door is a communal area leading to other neighbour's door's, so it's not easy to avoid people entering or leaving their flats. The communal area leads to a car park outside a gate. In the communal space and the car park she is like on 'hyper alert; her body tense and her eyes scanning for any potential trouble. Once she clears this area ( I call the red zone!) and we walk away from where we live, she relaxes more. If she sees another dog across the street she may bark for a short while but this all seems normal, and it's short-lived.

In the house, she will often climb on the sofa and look out the window and growl and bark occasionally, again as if scanning, for movement outside the window. She seems to be very territorial and protective of our home. I understand Jack Russell's are very territorial by nature, however.

When the doorbell rings or there's delivery at the door she will bark repeatedly. She would be situated 20 feet from the front door (in the living room) and behind a gate. We don't shout at her when she bark's, we just ignore her, so as not to entice her. Not sure if we are doing the right thing, however.

If someone enters through our front door and comes in she will bark loudly at them and is very unsettled. When the stranger or a person comes inside and sits down she growls at them, but then seems to eventually settle after a few minutes and will then approach them. I get my neighbour to call-in occasionally, as he loves her and he has previously fussed and stroked her outside in the communal area. She will bark at him when he knocks at the door and this will continue when he comes inside into our living room/Lounge. Whilst seated indoors If my neighbour then stands up from the sofa or suddenly moves, she will bark at him again. This will happen for instance when he leaves.

Sadly we don't get many visitors to our flat apart from delivery drivers and postmen. So their's not much opportunity for her to meet people at our flat.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Michael (Nottingham-UK)

Attached Files:

5. love-dogs49

Thanks for your help and advice, James. I'll take on board what you have said.

Michael

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice