Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lizard vs Centipede!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Akai Shizuku, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Akai Shizuku

Akai Shizuku PetForums Newbie

Hi there! I have a Cuban brown anole, and I've just run out of crickets for her!:eek: Oh noes!

Anyways, my family is a little tight on the Benjamins, so I've taken to capturing small arthropods around the house when I run out of crickets and tossing them in the vivarium. I know this is beneficial because it's good to feed any pet a variety of foods. However, there is one particular critter I see at night that I think might be tasty - scutigera coleoptrata; that is, the house centipede. The only problem with this is that they sting (yes, sting, not bite, because the appendages which inject venom are on arms and not fangs). Would the venom from this creature be dangerous to my anole? I know humans can handle it, and small mammals, but anoles are kinda small.

2. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

I am not too sure why you would want to willing feed a venomous animal to any other animal?

Livefood is not expensive. You can buy a tub of crickets for £2. If you can't afford that, then you can't afford to look after any pet, let alone a reptile. What happens if you lizard becomes ill, can you afford to take it to the vet?

Capturing animals for you lizard to eat is dangerous. You don't know what the little beasties have been sprayed in or lived in etc etc.
    I heard of someone feeding a spider to a Bearded Dragon once. The Beardie passed away sadly.

3. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Where did you read or find out that centipedes sting?

My understanding is that centipedes front legs are modified to carry venom - but they're classed as fangs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice