Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lizard identification

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by demi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. demi

demi PetForums Member

I found this lizard today. Trying to work out what species it is. I see a lot of brown lizards around here ( Macedonia, South East Europe) which i think are mostly Viviparous lizards as they are the most common. We also have a large green lizards but they are usually in the glass land, not in the town.
    I'v been looking at pictures but i can't find any which look exactly like this lizard. This one is mainly brownish with horizontal black stripes from it's neck to the tip of it's tail and it's tail is yellow/orange. It's a baby, maybe the adults look different.

Any one got any ideas?
    I'v narrowed it down to these but im not sure:

Viviparous lizard
    Viviparous lizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

European wall lizard
    Podarcis muralis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attached Files:

2. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

it looks more like a species of gecko to me, the ones I've narrowed down to are:

Moorish Gecko - (Tarentola mauritanica)

Kotschy’s Gecko - (Cyrtodactylus kotschyi)

Mediterranean House Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus)

Juveniles will look slightly different to their adult counterparts but should look similar enough to still look like the same species.

If you haven't already I'd recommend releasing it back into the wild [​IMG]

3. demi

demi PetForums Member

The markings look more similar to a gecko but it is smooth and has thin feet, which is why i though it wasn't........and i still haven't seen any pictures of yellow tailed lizards, this one clearly has a bright yellow/orange tail compared with the rest of it's body which is greeny/brown.

4. demi

demi PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice