Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Living with entire males

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Luvdogs, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Hi, Well Archie has just turned 9 months old now, and as we show we want to keep him entire.
    Just want to hear your experiences of living with entire dogs? :) good and bad ;)

2. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

A subject i really canny comment on now hun, as Haggis has his dangles off at a young age due to a bladder problem, and Tatties had his dangles off recently due to 'bum trouble and hormones' and Laalie dont have any dangles..lol
    Sorry i canny be any help.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

All my dogs are neutered but my friends golden has no problems. A bit of humping things but he mostly grew out of that recall and everything is no problem.

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i have an 13 month old unneutered male and i have no negative experience. He never humps anything, he doesnt run off...etc :)

The only thing is when maya is in season he will whine and try to get to her for about 4 days during her whole season...but thats really it :D

5. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Well I'm the same as you i have a 8 month old Klee Kai and will be keeping his bits as i will be breeding him with my girl, he is not marking my house and i do have dogs to stay so that's good, at the mo i do not a problem and hope i will not.

6. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

A doggy dangle free house then :D:D

7. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

From my experience at the Kennels we sometimes found the unneutered males could be a bit bolshy and a bit dominant with others.
    I can always tell an uneautered dog from its behaviour from a distance though. My other half thinks im nutty.

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Our first GSD Ben, was left entire and he developed prostrate problems which the vet stated could have been avoided, had we had him castrated early. Our other dogs have been castrated as a matter of course and lived good long lives.

Obviously, for those who show, castration is not an option.

9. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Good to hear, as a lot of people wonder why i want to keep him entire, if i am not breeding. He has started to hump alittle :rolleyes: which we do discourage, though i think it's more excitement then anything else :eek:.
    My male lab (first dog) we rushed into getting neutered...just want to see how it goes really :D

10. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I take we are talking about dogs not humans lol Sorry couldnt resist it :eek: I have had both but both the males I have had have been shall we say quite dominant :rolleyes:. Training has been much easier after they had been "done" So I guess a lot of it is down to the specific dogs temperment and if it is causing you any problems.:D If you are having problems get him done asap if not wait and see how it goes. sorry if thats not much help. All I know is that Archie was very bolchy (not sure on the spelling lol) and I am sure I would have killed him by now if we did not get him done lol

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I don't think we've ever had our dogs done. woody was no problem anyway, Dante constantly humps other dogs in the park - or at least some - which makes me wish we had him done..and mika....i thought we were going to get him done but i dont know now!

12. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Every dog i have ever owned has been entire and i've never had any problems.Personaly i would only have a dog "done" if there was a medical problem,but thats just my oppion.:D:D

13. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Did anyone see the article in this month's Doys Today linking early castration with problems with ligaments?
    The article said that dogs castrated under 1 yr were found grow to be significantly taller, but less broard (head, chest) than those catsrated after a year. They put this down to the hormones needed to "switch off" growth not being present in the castrated dogs and believed that the extra height put extra strain and the ligaments increasing the risk of problems.
    Just wondering what everyones opinions were as I have no knowledge in the field.

14. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

LOL at the humans :D
    I would not get him done now anyway, I would wait until older :)
    At the moment it's all hormones and typical teenager :rolleyes::rolleyes: It's so unfair!!! :D

15. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Me too Janice :)

I see no reason to have any dog castrated or bitch speyed unless it was medically warranted...

Every dog & bitch i have owned has been entire, not all have been bred from & never had any problems

16. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

My boys 4 now and i`ve never had a problem with him still having his balls.
    He`s never been a humper and other than lots of scent marking when out he`s fine

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My dog still has his nuts, they just arent attached to him anymore.

18. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

:eek:

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi i have to agree, we didnt have our second springer neutered, he developed an enlarged prostate he was very ill in a lot of pain, and if left un neutered we was by our vet that within 18months we could be looking at prostate cancer. I couldnt live with an entire male again knowing the problems that could arise. I have also known dogs live a healthy long life without the op but having had the experience of a dog with an ilness that could have been avoided, i would'nt risk it.

20. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Chance lived to 13 with his danglies in tact and never showed any unwanted behaviour or health problems due to that. Henrick will be 1 in a couple of weeks and I don't plan to remove his danglies either *Henrick breathes a sigh of relief*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice