Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Living in a caravan - how do you stop it being too hot for your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CuddleMonster, May 31, 2017.

1. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

My dog is becoming increasingly stressed by life on our very noisy road. I've tried all sorts of calming tablets, tonics etc, but it isn't helping. I've been offered a caravan on a farm, rent-free until I can find something more long-term suitable (you know what it's like finding rental places that will take dogs at a reasonable price!), but there will be times when Bonnie has to stay in the caravan on her own and I'm worried about it overheating if the weather is warm. I know cars are dangerous to leave dogs in, but what about caravans? As they are bigger, if I left the roof vent and some windows open, would that be cool enough?

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

This is an issue we're familiar with.
    My suggestion is to invest in a small portable air con unit.
    I got one a couple of years ago for about 240 quid and it has been a life saver (probably more literally than I care to think about!)

Zaros, DT, CuddleMonster and 2 others like this.
  3. CuddleMonster

Ooh, brilliant! I never thought of that! Thank you @Katalyst ! Are they very noisy? I just ask because the little madam is paranoid about strange noises, so no point moving to a caravan if she is going to panic at the air con!

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you can shade the van that will help.

I cover my conservatory roof in the Summer, which reduces the temperature inside quite noticeably.

Maybe lay a large tarpaulin or dustsheet over the roof (cut a hole in for the vent) and secure in the corners with poles and guy ropes to create shady porches either side to shield windows too. Better too if you can raise the tarp off the roof a bit to create an air gap.

CuddleMonster and Magyarmum like this.
  5. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

We used the mesh from a puppy pen to fasten in front of the caravan windows, so they could stay open. Obviously depends how secure the place where you store it is, as while it was dog safe, it probably wasn't burglar proof

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

An easy idea might be a normal desk fan directed upwards towards the vent to aid removal of hot air - having a window on the shaded/cooler side to help ventilation?

Might also help with noise sensitivity as (once used to the fan) the humming could mask outside noises.

I would want to know the electricity supply was reliable though.

CuddleMonster likes this.
  7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Fans or air con, is all you can do, as long as she's not left to long.

But a conservatory isn't a metal can, even at night a caravan can heat up.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We live in a small touring caravan for 18 months which included the amazingly hot summer of 76 for those that are old enough to remember it. The dogs lived out in the awning but I dont really remember it getting unbearably hot. Drawing the curtains helps a lot. I do have a memory of me and the dogs spending a day trying to find shade and moving round the caravan as the sun moved and every so often staggering down to the river and cooling off. That year it did not rain from may bank holiday to august bank holiday and was horrendously hot and as we were living on my husband's jobs which were all over the country and lasted one to two weeks we and the dogs were constantly on the move and they managed fine spending a lot of time in the car and in the caravan. Currently we have the dogs sleeping in our holiday caravan but we always have it parked in the shade. We went to Tesco towing it once on a baking hot day and it was really too hot to leave the dogs in the car so I drew the curtains and left them in the caravan and it was really cool inside when we went back.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Er, I know. ;)

The point I was making is that shade helps prevent the van (or conservatory) from getting so hot in the first place - like a parasol in effect.

Which is why I've suggested shading and ventilation too.

Relying just on electrical devices alone wouldn't be ideal imo, in case of failure - in combination with the above it could be the answer.

10. CuddleMonster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It looks like it will be workable and I love the idea of the mesh over the window, as I was a bit worried about power failure if I just relied on aircon or a fan. It would be fairly secure as a) it's in an isolated location but with lots of people on site and b) one of the farm dogs looks like a killer-dog and frightens a lot of people away (though the only death you risk is death-by-licking!).

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. DT

DT Banned

We have never left milly in the van, she would wreck it, but during my old fellas final year we did him, but we made arrangements with the site owner as most sites do have rules regarding leaving dogs unattended in vans, albeit this wont apply to you.
    The first time we left him, it was oy a,short time, we opened the top vents and the bathroom window at the back so rhat it could blow,through, the remainder of the blinds ae closed, we also left both the caravan fan and an addition fan on, and, the,owner of the site who we trust, it was only a small adult only site. When we got back he was asleep on the floor and it was pretty cool. After that we invested in a small air con unit, which tbh I never really trusted so dare not leave,him for long, but it did work fine. Also as others,have,said if possible locate the van in a shaded areA or under trees maybe.

Lurcherlad and CuddleMonster like this.
  12. CuddleMonster

Thanks. It's not possible to relocate the van to shade, but the other ideas should work. It will be a few weeks before I can relocate anyway, so hopefully only a few more weeks of hot weather after that. Hoping by next summer I will have found something more permanent for us both!

Lurcherlad and DT like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice