Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Living alone and wanting to get a dog-advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kattiee, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Kattiee

Kattiee PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, I’m going to be moving to a one bed flat in the near future but as I’m living alone and will be having a full time 9-5 job I understand it’s not the ideal situation to be getting a dog in. My plan was to rescue a small older dog from a sanctuary near me that doesn’t have issues surrounding being left alone.

It was my idea then that obviously they would be happier to be left alone for longer periods and would need less exercise than a puppy. I also have a friend who loves near by that would happily have him for one day a week as well when I’m working so in theory he would only be alone for four working days during the day. Obviously this would involve finding the right dog at the shelter that would fit the requirements I need but I would never want to adopt a dog and place him in a uncomfortable living situation. So I would really appreciate your advice and thoughts on this idea

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Could you arrange fora dog walker to call in ?
    Its not just 8 to 5 but travel time too.
    Some rescues dont adopt to full time workers though Greyhound rescues do .

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It's far from ideal but might be workable if you can arrange a dog walker to come in a couple of times a day. But 8 hours plus commuting time is simply too long to leave any dog - and I doubt a shelter would home a dog with you anyway in these circumstances unless you can make other arrangements. Dogs are social creatures and like company too - if you try sitting in a room with no company, no tv, no books and no other stimulation, I'd be surprised if you weren't fed up after one hour, never mind 8+. Would you consider a pet that isn't a dog?

4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Would your friend be happy to pop in half way through the day to break the day up a bit for the dog for those other 4 days?

An older dog could work in your situation, for example, my childhood dog used to go with my dad to work on the days my mum also worked, but as the dog got older he didn't want to go with dad and wanted to stay at home and just sleep the day away,
    As you say it'll depend on finding the right dog.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Would be prepared to employ a dog walker to come in and exercise the dog during the day? It is really too long to leave a dog alone and many rescues won’t rehome to people who work full time unless a plan is in place to break up the day. Also will you be allowed to have a pet in the flat?

Lurcherlad and margy like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

8 hours is a hell of a long time to be left alone and unable to toilet. Do you go that long without a toilet break? An older dog is a good idea but most rescues won't give someone a dog if they are left that long without company or at least a toilet break. Is there anyway you could go home at lunch to let the dog out for a bit to toilet and stretch their legs? Or get your friend to do it? Otherwise you'd need a dog walker/sitter to pop in and take the dog out.
    Not only that but you'd have to make sure you got up extra early to take the dog for a walk, and then the same after work, even in the cold and dark and rain, when you are knackered and don't feel like it.

Bugsys grandma and margy like this.
  7. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I got my same dog years ago in the same situation as you. She came from the RSPCA and had only been in for three days following the death of her old owner.

She settled in well, and would sit in the window watching people go past whilst I was at work She never barked unless they came into the garden.

I had a friend who let her in the garden or took her for a walk at least once a day.

I was lucky with her as a friend in similar circumstances got a rescue dog that chewed through an internal door. I was lucky as I knew the dog's history and knew that she was used to being left alone

8. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I thnk realistically you need to arrange for someone to come halfway through the day to let the potential dog out for a toilet break and/or walk but otherwise there are no other barriers to having a dog and working full time. I should know I have two!

9. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

If you can afford doggy day care then go for it, otherwise it’s not the right time in your life to get a dog. There are No dogs out there who ‘don’t mind being left alone’ for hours on end. Dogs are pack animals you see and they all suffer with some degree of separation anxiety when left alone for long periods of time. A full working day as you will have everyday of the week is too long, too often. There may be a few dogs who have learnt to tolerate it, but that doesn’t make them a happy, healthy dog. So look into dog walkers, and day care if you are determined.

DolomiTTe likes this.
  10. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

I work full time, and always had a dog (up until I had to have my German Shepherd put to sleep almost 3 years ago), but I am able to go home for my lunch. Personally, I would not consider having another a dog unless I could either do this, employ a dog walker, or at least have some way that the dog has access to a safe outdoor space to toilet (either a dog flap or a run).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice