Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Liver medication advice - SAMe / Milk Thistle

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SydeniSass, Nov 29, 2020.

1. SydeniSass

SydeniSass PetForums Newbie

Hi, anyone with a super super fussy cat had any luck with alternatives to Hepatosyl?
    I'm looking for SAMe and Milk Thistle suggestions that are palatable and affordable.

My cat was diagnosed with lymphocytic cholangiohepatitis back in April. He was prescribed Hepatosyl by the vet, but I've had real struggles get it down him (he hates the flavour and won't touch the food). I switched him to Denamarin, but the required fasting is a nightmare, and tbh I can't really afford the high monthly cost of the drug (similar with Samylin, and Zentonil). Also, Denamarin and Samylin seems to have much loser doses of the active ingredients than Hepatosyl, so I'm a bit uncertain of how good they are. Does anyone have advice on optimum doses of the two supplements? And/or any other liver supplements you'd suggest?

Any help much appreciated :)

2. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Our boy was diagnosed a year ago with lymphocytic cholangitis (which is different than LCH, I know) - we don't give him supplements, he has prednisolone and ursodial to control the inflammation and we pill him with those two tablets each morning (along with three others, as he also has focal HCM and raised BP, so meds for that plus anti-clotting meds)...he has a second steroid each evening. The steroid helps with his appetite too, as that's somewhat variable. We have to pill him as we can't put anything in his food, he just won't eat it.

Sorry I can't help on the supplements though :( I hope your boy does well with them.

3. SydeniSass

SydeniSass PetForums Newbie

It's so difficult isn't it? The vets are like "give them these horse pills 10 times a day"... .
    I'm sorry your boy has so many pills to take, you have at least made me feel thankful Sydney is not yet needing as much as that
    Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it :Happy

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice