UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved yellow Labrador aged 8 was put to sleep in December 2011 with Liver failure. At first they thought he had epilepsy, so he was given the meds (name escapes me) He had been collapsing if he got excited, he went in for loads of tests and the vets found that his abdoman was filled with fluid, it would have killed him eventually, we thought it was much fairer to let him go then.

Obviously at the time, we didn't think to ask what it could have been caused by or anything of the sort, we were just so upset.

What is it caused by, if anyone knows?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sorry about your loss, it is very hard losing a pet.

I only know that toxics cause liver failure.

My Welsh Springer died of liver failure he was diagnosed with a liver shunt at 2yrs old, with help from the vet we put him on an hepatic diet, also on medication. He developed epilepsy when he was 7years old and passed away at 9 years old.

I don't know about any other breed but I was told that a liver shunt was hereditary in Welsh Springers and did inform the breeder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.