Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Liver failure

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

My beloved yellow Labrador aged 8 was put to sleep in December 2011 with Liver failure. At first they thought he had epilepsy, so he was given the meds (name escapes me) He had been collapsing if he got excited, he went in for loads of tests and the vets found that his abdoman was filled with fluid, it would have killed him eventually, we thought it was much fairer to let him go then.

Obviously at the time, we didn't think to ask what it could have been caused by or anything of the sort, we were just so upset.

What is it caused by, if anyone knows?

2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Here is a picture of my boy. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have the interest in dogs that I have now, so owe it to this lad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

No one knows?

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Ascites

Ascites is the accumulation of fluid in the abdomen. In a dog with liver disease, it is caused by low serum proteins and increased pressure in the veins that supply the liver. A dog with ascites has a swollen or bloated look. Thumping on the abdomen produces a dull, flat sound.

Liver Disease in Dogs: Symptoms and Causes

Beautiful boy

5. beris

beris PetForums Senior

Sorry about your loss, it is very hard losing a pet.

I only know that toxics cause liver failure.

My Welsh Springer died of liver failure he was diagnosed with a liver shunt at 2yrs old, with help from the vet we put him on an hepatic diet, also on medication. He developed epilepsy when he was 7years old and passed away at 9 years old.

I don't know about any other breed but I was told that a liver shunt was hereditary in Welsh Springers and did inform the breeder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice