Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Liver disease in cats - advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Chris4817, May 7, 2011.

1. Chris4817

Chris4817 PetForums Newbie

I have had my dear cat Poppy since she was 9 weeks old. She is now nearly eleven years.

A few days ago I noticed she was drinking excessively and had a slightly swollen stomach. I booked her into the vet and she had an ultrascan which confirmed that she has acute liver disease all over her liver. It is also nearly twice the size it should be. I am devastated.

I have brought her home and she continues to lead a normal life. She is still purring, hunting and eating, albeit small amounts at a time.

I am awaiting further blood results which should be here by Monday. If she has cancer then I think the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep.

If she doesn't have cancer what are the chances of her continuing and for how long? I am willing to pay and do whatever it takes as long as she doesn't suffer.

Any advice and experiences would help.

Thanks

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your cat!

Obviously it's best to wait until the blood test results and take it from there! But in the meantime there are different forms of liver disease not all of which are cancerous. Since all the organ is affected and it's acute nature, I'm wondering about choleangiohepatitis which is due to infection/inflammation. Just out of interest has Poppy any other conditions, now or in the recent past?

Even with a positive biopsy for cancer it doesn't necessarily mean it's untreatable. Depending on the type some cats can go on for a long time with steroids/chemo treatments.

It's a good sign Poppy is behaving normally-sounds as if you managed to catch it in the early stages.

Do let us know what the blood tests reveal on Monday. I would certainly expect the liver enzymes to be sky high!

3. Chris4817

Chris4817 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your kind comments. I will certainly update you on Monday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice