Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

little questions

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cheryl 0278, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Cheryl 0278

Cheryl 0278 PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I've got two questions: :)
    Is it really bad to give cat food to a dog? and:
    is the expiration date of dry dog food really important ...? I mean, is it bad if it's a few weeks or months passed it's date? I wonder if it isn't just (or almost only) commercial? :confused:
    Have a nice evening !

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Dogs shouldn't really have cat food. It won't harm them, but cats have very different nutritional needs to a dog, and cat food won't provide a balanced diet for a dog. A spoonful every now and again won't harm though, when I had my old Bernese and my old cat, the dog had to have a bit of Felix whenever I dished up the cats dinner, same routine every morning and evening for nearly 14 years :eek:

As for the food expiry dates, I take note of them, but don't stick religiously to them. I've fed pet food (canned and dry [unopened bag]) up to about 2 months out of date with no ill affects, but I wouldn't go much over that personally.

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Don't necessarily think that your dog will be harmed if the food is (not too) out of date; the nutritional value does begin to decline though I believe.

4. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I have been giving my dog teeny tiny kitten dry food when training because she seems to love it and because it is so small it doesn't affect her food intake too much. It was recommended to me by a Weimy breeder for the reasons above but a behaviourist told me last week not to use it as kitten food has a high fat content. With conflicting advice I don't really know what to think.

5. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I wouldn't give cat food to a dog - there are plenty of moist complete dog foods like Naturediet, etc, for dogs.

As for BB dates, I was reading about this the other day and it seems that it's OK to go over a couple of months, especially the canned food. I did feed some canned food a couple of months ago that I'd bought and then realised (after I'd fed it!) that it was 4 months out of date (I didn't check the dates when I bought them from the Pet Shop - now I check all dates!). Henry was fine and didn't have any ill-effects from it, though.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

7. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Use By and Best Before dates are different. If a food saids Use By, it is unwise to eat past this date. Best Before has more tolerance.... think most pet foods have Best Before on them. I wouldn't worry about going over a little bit, but not excessively over the date. Is there a reason you ask - have you got some out of date food??

8. Cheryl 0278

thank you for your answers!:001_smile:
    the problem is that we always leave food in a bowl for the cats, so my dog can eat it too... If I put dog food in another bowl there, I don't know if my yorkie won't eat it... He will probably eat both in fact...:D

9. Cheryl 0278

oh sorry I didn't answer to your question :D
    Yes, I've got out of date food (" best before 25.12.2010"), and I wanted to know if I had to buy a new packet.

10. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i know it says on most bags of dog food that the nutritional value cant be guaranteed after the use by date. If the bag is unopened i don't think it would be harmful to your dog after all dogs can eat raw chicken with out getting sick.

11. henry

henry PetForums VIP

What brand is it? If it's a good one, it will probably fine, depending on how large the bag is?

12. Cheryl 0278

...but the bag was opened...is it a big deal?:confused:

13. henry

henry PetForums VIP

How long has the bag been opened and what one is it?

14. Cheryl 0278

I opened this bag about a year ago, maybe before ... but we can close it hermetically.
    the brand is "frolic" and it's a little bag.

15. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Do you want my honest opinion (sorry if it offends!)?

I'd throw it straight away and not buy another bag. It will have gone off by now and Frolic is not a good food. Have a look at the Nutrition threads on here and you'll see that people recommend drys including: James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights, Arden Grange, Burns, Fish4Dogs, Acana, Orijen,

For wet: Naturediet, Natures Harvest, Natures Menu, Arden Grange Partners.

Frolic is full of additives and colourings and is possibly worse than Bakers....

Please consider an alternative food and don't feed the Frolic. Good luck!

16. Cheryl 0278

oh, I didn't know that frolic was a bad food...
    thank you for your advice ;)
    have a nice evening!

17. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I'm glad you didn't take offence - good luck with finding something your doggie will enjoy! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice