Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Little Princesses

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissSpitzMum, Jul 29, 2020.

1. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

So I thought I might start a thread to see if anyone has their 'little princess' stories with their dogs. What I mean by that is - when your dog makes a big ol' mountain out of a molehill.

My dog is most definately a little princess. He will stop and sit down if a twig so much as sits in his fur without trying to get it out himself, waiting for me to remove the none stuck twig so he can continue on his princess way. When he was teething I rushed him to the vets because he refused to even stand up, fearing he was about to die, only for the vet to tell me he is in mild discomfort and is being a bit of a drama queen. Needless to say, the vet was right.

So my life with him has been one long little princess story to the next, and I almost definately contribute as I am always there to take the twig away! I thought about posting this thread after his latest little princess outburst.

We were walking on some grass that isn't perfectly preened lawn and he managed to step on a small thistle. He leapt up, kicked out his leg and refused to move until I had checked him over. Fearing he had just done some serious damage, I hurried over, checked his knees and pads, and massaged to see if he had any pain. He had none. So I looked round and saw a small thistle. For the next 10 minutes he kept refusing to walk, until he saw a dog he liked and forgot all about the thistle for the rest of the day. The magical miracle cure that it was.

So, how has your dog shown you their princess sides?

Obligatory picture of Merlin sulking because he is a bit wet and it is ruining his fluff, dontchaknow:
    IMG_20200606_183423.jpg

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Haha that's hilarious! My dogs aren't too bad to be honest, but there are a few things that spring to mind. When I first took Puzzle to get his jabs he was fine, but when we went to get the booster (it was his first ever set so he needed L4 booster) he squealed at the needle and she had to swap to the puppy needle which is smaller. And it's not like the needles are big!
    And this is one of my faves, Fly (lurcher, they are known for being dramatic, although he's not that bad) was lying on the grass then got up to swap sides (he was sunbathing so has to make sure both sides are cooked evenly) and stepped on something spiky. He lifted his paw and couldn't walk on it at all and limped over to me all pathetic like. I thought he'd been stung as there were flies and wasps about so I was looking closely at his paw and then spotted it, the tiniest little thorn you ever did see. A tiny brown speck in his pad that I picked out was soooo painful he couldn't possibly put his foot down.
    Here is the offending article. Yes, that tiny brown speck next to my thumb.
    [​IMG]

3. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Member

Yes Alfie does not tolerate discomfort well. Thorns in paws are life threatening, he limps over to me on three legs BUT when I try and make it better he bites me. Fear and panic overtake him and he turns into a Tasmanian devil, so much so I have to carry a muzzle for such occasions. Problem is, as I discovered the other day, is that he now won't let me put it on in his state of high anxiety.

At the vet he has to be sedated for anything, however minor, that requires close inspection.

On a serious note he did have a very nasty experience at a vet, who thankfully is no longer practising, that led to his issues becoming much worse than they ever were. :(

Happy Paws2, karenmc and Kakite like this.
  4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Sometimes I wonder if daisy feels pain, I’ve seen her run into things head first and not even flinch.

but she has stood on a thorn a few times and it’s like she’s stood on a 4 inch nail. Paw up in the air refusing to move looking at me all sad :(:(:( sometimes it doesn’t look like there’s anything there so I give it a rub saying “all better” and off she trots back to normal :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack, being a sighthound will scream blue murder if he’s hurt.

One time he ran in from the garden and clipped his shoulder on a chair and screamed whilst holding his front leg out. Thinking he’d smashed his shoulder and whilst holding him (still screaming) I rang the vet in a panic explaining quickly, was told to bring him straight in just as he stopped screaming, put his leg down and walked away without even a limp!

The other morning out walking he lunged towards a cat that I hadn’t spotted, then started to scream. I’m thinking the cat must have caught him I was checking his face, but he’d actually trod on a rose cutting, which I pulled off his paw quick. The screaming continued for quite a while afterwards with me supporting him and trying to calm him down. Anyone hearing him would think he was being abused!

In contrast, if his blanket is a bit wrinkled on the sofa, or he wants my spot, he’ll just quietly sit and look directly at me with a pained expression until I straighten his blanket or vacate the seat! :D

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Poor Alfie :(

Timber isn't good with being examined, he lets me do pretty much anything but a stranger - not so much.

Except his left front paw. Even I can't do much more than hold that, and that's after years of building up.

#6 JoanneF, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Happy Paws2, karenmc, FAW56 and 3 others like this.
  7. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

Luna is a bundle of energy and if allowed to go upstairs she will fly up the stairs and leap up onto a bed straight away for a cuddle and a play. She loves to travel in the car and sits with our 2 children with her safety harness. When getting in the car she looks excited and lifts her front paws up onto the back seat then without fail looks at us to lift her in even though my little Piccanto is lower down than our bed!!

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

The anything stuck in Dillon's hair and he wouldn't move, sometimes it took me ages running my hands over his legs trying to find the offending twig just to find the tiniest leaf hanging off his leg, just how he knew it was there was beyond me.

#8 Happy Paws2, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  9. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Ah the wrinkled blanket. Belle couldn't possibly sleep on a wrinkled up old blanket! Her bed has to be wrinkle free with clean soft blankets. Talk about the princess and the pea!

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I sometimes think this with Heidi. She is your stereotypical nervous handbag dog!:rolleyes: She is terrified of getting stepped on (so obviously has to get under your feet all the fudgin' time) and will screaming loudly and shy away if your foot gets anywhere near her. One time she screamed and jumped about 2ft in the air coz somebody dropped a rubbish bag about 6ft behind us.o_O
    She also isnt stoic in the slightest. Luckily she has a cast iron stomach coz the rare occasions where she's had a simple gippy tum have resulted in her unable to move, crying and shaking...until she has finally had a clearout!:Hilarious

11. MissSpitzMum

Love these stories!

Ironically the hardiest dog I have ever had was a lurcher - clearly the other breeds in him won out when it came to being a diva!

Merlin is also a little princess in hot weather. I can understand it, being a double coated breed, but he will sulk if he is even marginally warm. I remember once at training on a summers day we were doing recall from the group. Every other dog, including a sheltie, was happily going along. When it came time for Merlin's turn I unclipped his lead, asked him to wait, then walked away and recalled. He waited perfectly, but as soon as I recalled he very slowly and casually trotted over to the shade where he sat down and decided he was just watching training for today :D

12. Happy Paws2

Amber was the same she hatted the sun, even on a freezing cold frosty morning she'd still go and lie in the shade.:rolleyes:

13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh where to start with boxers ! My sister was considering writing a book called ‘reasons sox has cried’

Sox once developed a limp on his walk so bad I had to carry him back to the car. Not easy when he’s a teenage boxer. Once back to the car I called the vets instructing them they will have to help me carry him in to be examined. Got to the vets he hopped out of the car limp gone.

Loki stung by wasps collapsing at the side of the road again I call vets (they know me well) he said it’s probably the shock to give him a cuddle and piriton. (They were right)

Sox develops another limp whilst at home with sister she text to tell me. I get home tell him to show me his hurt he holds up the wrong paw. Limp forgot.

If anything touches Sox butt such as a bit of blanket he shots around the room like he’s been beaten and gives you stink eye.

I could go on...

Amanda Mower, FAW56, Kakite and 8 others like this.
  14. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Whilst completing an agility course it started to rain. All the other dogs carried on but my Yorkie doesn’t like getting wet. When she got to the tunnel she wouldn’t come out and stayed in the middle so I couldn’t reach her. In the end I had to tip the tunnel up to get her out.

FAW56, Kakite, MissSpitzMum and 8 others like this.
  15. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Can relate to a lot of these stories, samson is a big diva too. @MissSpitzMum the story about the thistle made me chuckle as samson once did something similar when he had a tiny splinter in his paw, scared the life out of me as he yelped so loud. He proceeds to lay down as if dying and I look at his paw, only to find the offender. Pick it out, say all better now and he gets up as if nothing happened :rolleyes:.

Another funny one is there is an old couch at my parents that we call samsons couch as they kept it for him. However as a consequence of this if anyone else dares sits on it you get the 'look'. He isn't pushy and always waits for permission to get up but he will stand and stare :Hilarious.

I swear spitz types were made to be dramatic lol

Happy Paws2, FAW56, margy and 3 others like this.
  16. MissSpitzMum

@Boxerluver30 it is because all they need to do is flash us that Spitz smile and we think they were in on the joke the entire time :D

17. Happy Paws2

Another memory of Amber.

Our garage was in a garage block just round the corner, one day coming back from the shops I got out and held Amber while OH had put the car away, we started to walk away but Amber wouldn't move, she sat down and looked really unhappy worried there was something wrong OH got the car out again and drove us round to the house, I open the back door to help her out and she shot out like a rocket ran to the front door wagging her tail with that silly grin dogs have that says, that fooled you.:D

18. MissSpitzMum

They know how to work us alright!!

Merlin recalled today from barking at squirrels, on his way over to me he stopped dead in his tracks and sat down. On inspection, he had picked up a dried leaf on his tail... Crisis indeed!! :D

On the same walk a dalmatian went for him, however he left that totally unphased! I would have thought teeth beats leaf in upset, but not when princesses are involved it seems :D

Also, speaking of sulking, here is my little princess deciding he wasn't ready to get back in the car to go home...

IMG_20200523_200019.jpg

#18 MissSpitzMum, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:05 AM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:23 AM
    FAW56, Sarah H, Grace Bob and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice