Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Little bit worried...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Anwen, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

about Pixie. She's really skinny now, despite my best efforts supplying her with loads of meaty food. She was eating like a horse last week, but didn't put any weight on, and today she's hardly even picking at her food, but she did lap up loads of water which she never usually touches. :confused:
    She also has little spates of irritability and gets really vocal, just wandering round the flat miaowing. Usually when she does that (which isn't often) she responds when I pick her up and let her suckle on my shoulder, but she seems to be inconsolable for around 30 mins and then calms down.
    Otherwise she seems ok, she's bright eyed and affectionate and fine with the kittens.
    Anyone have any idea what's going on?!

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

she may be in heat...

3. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

I thought that was a possibility, but she's not 'assuming the position' as it were, which she did fairly often last time she was! She's been better this morning though, she's eaten her breakfast and she seems a bit less 'lost'. Would have replied earlier, but I've been playing with the kittens ALL morning! They're just so cute when they start climbing up your legs...

4. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Oh, p.s- how's Selecta doing? Can't be long now surely!?
    x

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

well fingers crossed it will be soon...shes not herself today..gone off food..up every 5 minutes or so....so im thinking soon...yipeeee

6. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Poor thing, I bet she's desperate to get them out!! Can't be very fun being that big!
    x

7. Abooksigun

Abooksigun PetForums VIP

Awwww bless her, sounds to me like she could be back in heat too. Are her kittens still suckling from her, it could be that they are taking the goodness?? Sorry just not sure how old her little ones are.

Next question would be are the little ones eating solids? If they are maybe you could try shutting mum away for a while & let them have a good feed on some solids & would give her a but of a break aswell.

I hope you don't think I am being nosey, just thought that this may be of some help:)

8. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Don't think you're being nosey at all! I probs should have told you all this in the first post!! All of the kittens are on solids, most of them around 3 times a day :D, but a couple are lagging behind slightly and only do once a day with a bit of prompting! Oh and they're 4 weeks and 3 days. They do still suckle fairly frequently though (especially the two that are lagging!), so I will seperate them from mummy during their next feed!

She's never been a big cat, but she feels all bony when you pick her up and it's not very pleasant! Here are some photies of feeding time at the Zoo!

Attached Files:

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

poor kittie she must be tired with all those babies (who are all gorgeous)

10. Abooksigun

Abooksigun PetForums VIP

I'm glad you didn't think I was being nosey!;) Right ok 4 weeks 3 days & on solids is really good, so I think maybe trying to get the 2 that are lagging to eat solids would be a good idea. At this age they do still need mum but perhaps letting them feed from her after solids as fingers crossed they shouldn't take as much!!

I hope that this is some help for you & gorgeous chubby little bundles you have by the way:)

11. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Our cat Tabs has just said goodbye to her kittens and been re united with her brother (our other cat who she grew up with). She is unsettled and keeps trying to call her little ones! (Who all have good homes with close friends and family now)

Anyway, I was just going to say that she is very skinny now, after feeding the kittens and we are doing our best to give her lots of nutrients- the vet told us to give her kitten food as it is good when they are feeding...

Poor girl, she must be tired! Hope she gets better soon.

A x

12. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Yeh, she's had access to kitten food wet and dry all the time, she just doesn't seem as interested in it as usual... She's always been a leeetle bit crazy tho, bless her! :eek:ut:

13. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Bless her! Hope she starts looking after herself a bit better soon- it's hard to remember to do that when you're a mummy.... :);)

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Misty did this at around week 3/4. It was a Sunday and I was very worried. She didn't seem to want kittens near here, looked totally whacked, I thought perhaps Mastitis.

Took her the emergency vet and she was fine, apparently this is to be expected at around this time and mum was telling me to feed the kittens more, I upped their feeds to 4 per day rather than 2 feeds and sure enough she was fine after a day or two.

Hope she is okay, remember any worries call your vet.

15. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

It sounds like the early stages of calling, bless her. Hope she feels better soon x

Patchouli is on her second call since her babies and they're only 8 weeks old :( She'll only eat Applaws fish when sh'e calling too :rolleyes:

16. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Ive read somewhere that 50% goats milk with 50% water is good for the kittens as it bulids them up...maybe it would be good for mum too??
    Lovely mum and gorgeous babies by the way!:)

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Minnii is getting quite skinny now - she hasn't stopped calling since the kittens were 3 weeks - so that's over 6 weeks of constant call - if she doesn't stop soon I'll have to find her anoter stud boy - butwas hoping to wait. If the weight keeps falling though . . . . ?

18. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Misty is the same she has had 3 calls. Can she handle cimicat ? This can help bulking up! Oh and pasta too.

19. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I'll try the cimicat - she has good food anyway but hopefully that will work a bit.

20. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Thanks for all the responses everyone! It's very reassuring to know that this is fairly common! And thankyou for the compliments, I told the kittens but they were too busy standing in their food to notice!
    I have upped their feeds to four a day, and have found a food that Pixie actually seems interested in- having tried nature's best, Hilife RC, JB and Wafcol, bizzarely she eventually went for Aldi foils! I know it's not a good meat content, but just glad she's feeding better! She's also been drinking loads, so not worried about her getting dehydrated!
    xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice