Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

little bit of help.....xx

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by loren, May 19, 2010.

1. loren

loren PetForums Newbie

hiiiii, just found this god send of a forum haha so many things i want to ask haha, firstly this a big one........ I have an Amercian Bulldog Bitch who is 10 months old and her name is Mia, she was given to us at 7months.she will not listen to my fiance, this is the first thing i'd like to know....when he tells her off she runs away and abruptly stops and then gets into the pounce attacky looking position :S but when i tell her off she stays by me and puts her face down towards the floor then rolls on to her back :S can anyone shine some light on this please lol xxxxx thanx xxxxx

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

She respects you and not your partner is the only way I can put it. Shes showing you her belly but shes playing with him :)

3. rona

rona Guest

Do you know what her past life was?
    It could be a sign of nerves.
    This question would probably be best on the training section :)

4. loren

loren PetForums Newbie

thank uuu, i'll copy n paste it into ther thanx rona. wel the lad who gave us her didnt tell us i had to read it for myself......the lad who gave her to us is a boxer and he has alot of people who dont like him, so his house was broken into and my little mia was in ther they nocked her about and drugged her and she passed out so obviously shes wiery but since we have had her shes been fine in certain ways, when she 1st came to us she was terified of her lead and doors but shes ok with them now.xxxxxxx thanx 4 ur replys :)

5. rona

rona Guest

I did wonder if her reactions to your fiance was fear induced.
    Very difficult to say without seeing it

6. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hey!!

You want to try relate your fiance to good things, everytime he is near her get him to give her a treat. She may be scared of him, which may not seem so bad now, but fear can lead to aggression and if you don't try to sort out the problem now, it could be a far worse problem in the future.

Is your fiance being physical with the telling off?

As she may be scared at the physical punishment your fiance is giving, and again, this could lead to aggression and one day she may retaliate.

She respects you more than you fiance and you need to make it an equal playing field. Make sure your fiance gives the same attention to her as you do, and make your fiance appeal to her, by being fun and playing with toyus and offering a bit of chicken!!

xxx

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

If you walk her more than your fiance, get him to walk her a bit more and things like that.

All the best, she sounds like a character!

xxx

8. loren

loren PetForums Newbie

thank u :) yer wer going to have to talk when he gets in, he agreed to having her for me and told me he had me a dog and brought me in which alls i can say was a female horse haha she was and is huge!!! i was terrified but now she is like a daughter to me i love her more than anything, and Brad (fiance) just brushes off that shes here, and it annoys me, i am forever telling him if one day she bites and doesnt let go and seriously hurts you, shes going to have to be put down and i DO NOT want that to happen so we need to bla bla n he goes o i wil, but doesnt so basically hes brought me a responsability but wont participate in the caring ect.hes going to have to ASAP tho i no that. about 3 weeks ago i did catch him giving her a very hard un needed smak/ punch in her side because she had nipped but hurt him and then when i punched him for the simple fact i was showing him i just hit him hard and he didnt know why just as the situation with mia he had hit her real hard and she didnt know what she had done as what she had done at the time she done it a good hour before or so.so i know that hasnt helpd atall.but since day one she has been wiery of men/deep voices/tall people. sorryfor the rant lol xxxx

#8 loren, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

hey hun

firstly and foremost welcome to pet forums i hope u enjoy ur stay. You will find some extremley helpful people here who can advise and guide u in the right direction. Doesnt matter what problem u have someone here will always help you.

Secondly congrats to you and ur fiance for rescuing this gorgeous girl. Im sorry to hear she is fearful of your man. It is possible as Rona suggested that she may have been terrified of physical abuse from men in her past and u really both need to work on conditioning this problem NOW. As said earlier the quicker its done the better the chances of her coming to associate men espesh ur fiance as good people.

I would ask who feeds the Mia at dinner times. If it is you i would pass the duties to your OH and let Mia associate him as a positive person like yourself. Everytime he is with Mia he should talk to her in a calm and positive way. Trying to avoid any raised tones in his voice. At every oppertunity possible he should offer Mia a small treat. This will start the conditioning process that he is a good person to be around because he supplies treats. As for walking her its a good idea that you take Mia to start with and gradually hand the lead to ur fiance without Mia realising. You at this point should stay close to both and walk slightly in front so as to fool Mia into thinking ur still in charge of her lead. Again get fiance to treat Mia for doing so well when walking on the lead beside him. Eventually ater a few times doing this she may begin to feel comfortable with him around her. Remember its all about patience these things take time.

I really hope that things turn around for this girl as she has a second chance in life and also a forever home.

If you need any further help and advice please feel free to pm me. Good Luck and all the best for the future. :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice