Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Little bit of a rant :P

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by zippie161, Oct 21, 2012.

1. zippie161

zippie161 PetForums VIP

This isn't really cat related but i needed to let off some steam!
    I'm just a little bit annoyed at the moment as i feel as if i may have turned into a little old mad cat lady who noone wants to see anymore..
    A few weeks ago i sent an invite out for a halloween party at our house - i love halloween, but it also marks the 1st anniversary of OH & i moving into our home which i think is rather special & i wanted to celebrate it.

I have a few really close friends who i thought would instantly say yes but they didnt, one was a bit hesitant, one said they would come but wouldnt dress up (its halloween!!) and my best friend said maybe as she didnt want to be scared & would have to see if she could get a child sitter etc..
    So i re-planned the party to make sure there would be nothing scary so as not to freak her out & even now i get the impression she doesnt want to come as just this morning she's sent me a message asking if it was still happening - in a way which sounded like 'do i have to'.. (well it kinda has to now ive bought the decorations & snacks n stuff.. plus i have 6 definates which isnt too bad i suppose) :rolleyes:

Everyone else (i invited around 30 people!) hasnt even bothered to respond with a yes or no which is to me really impolite! and for a while i was thinking why should i bother if noone else wants to?
    Have i really reached that point in life where everyones too grown up to have even just a quiet house gathering of costumes food and drink? Im only 26 but i feel 60!! Even my OH wasnt too enthusiastic about it..
    Only a couple of years ago we would all still go out together to pubs, clubs, did loads of games nights round peoples houses, but now im lucky to see them once a month!
    It's just made me a little bit upset (am i being pathetic?!) i know im grown up and i have a job and a mortgage and 2 cats :D (thank goodness for them!) but i didnt think my going out days were over yet?!
    ok one or two of our friends have kids but the rest of them still either live with parents, dont pay bills or just spend their time playing computer games so i really cant understand why they wouldnt want to go out & have some fun still.
    Sorry if this is terribly boring!! I just really needed to have a bit of a moan and cant really do that on facebook for all my friends to see.. :p

Anyone else going to halloween parties?!

2. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

Yes we go to our friends who have been having Halloween gatherings for the past 5 or so years, I do feel sorry for them though because she gets people who don't reply or just don't turn up after saying that they will come:frown2:, but we just have lots of fun anyway. They also spoil me because my birthday is the day before :D so I get a birthday party every year :thumbup:

3. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

I am going to a Halloween party at a friends house and I am super excited! I love to dress up so any excuse is good for me. They are a little cray-cray though so my OH and I will be driving and not drinking and will probably duck out once the beer pong gets going. I'm the same age as them (27) but they still live like 21 year olds.

I have had to force myself to go through, not because I'm not interested but just because we both work full time, we have a wedding to plan, parents to spend time with, grand parents to spend time with, a cat to keep happy, a house to renovate, christmas to plan, etc. and sometimes the pull of a Chinese take-away, a studio ghibli film and the blankie on the sofa is just too strong.

#3 Golgotha_tramp, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

I'm 27. Whilst my friends and I aren't really into clubbing, we meet regularly for a night out in the pub :)

We always go out for Halloween dressed up! :D This year I'm goin as an 80s pop dancer, whilst others are dressing as the stig, a gorilla, a clown and a zookeeper :)

5. danniandnala

danniandnala PetForums VIP

Hey..I feel quite similar to you but through different reasons for quite a lot of years we had friends coming round quite a lot and quite often we used to have a fab night..then last November me and the hubby split up for a few months didn't know we'd get back together we have but now they don't wanna know..must be me they must not like me anymore..I'm 28 and hubby is 31 we have mortgage 2kids 2cats it surely can't be time to hang it all up xx

6. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

I am 36 and would dress up and go party in a heartbeat but no-one I know is having a party!!

7. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I know how you feel about people not responding or letting you down last minute! I had a handbag party last month (kind of like an Ann Summers party, but with handbags instead of naughty things! :cool::) and I invited 15 friends, I expected that 10 of them would be definite yes's, ended up only 4 came! 4 of them didn't get back to me at all, and these are girls that I class as close friends! One said she was coming and then just didn't turn up (we've been friends for 17 years so I was very upset that she didn't at lease sent me a text to say she wasn't going to be there!) and another 2 cancelled on the day.

It's really upsetting when you go to all the hassle of arranging something and then it just feels like no-one can be bothered! I'm 29, so not ready to stop having fun yet!!

As for Halloween, no plans for this year. I used to run youth clubs so in previous years I've always been working and putting on parties for teenagers (which have been great fun!). The staff would all dress up too and then we'd head out on the town after our shift. I don't do that job any more, so I'm at a bit of a loose end. My friends all say that they are 'too old' for going out dressed up! :mad2:

8. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

My family often take the mick out of me, saying I'm 20 going on 70 :eek:

I don't like going out clubbing and don't drink so pubs and the like aren't my thing either. I've also recently developed a strange fear of restaurants, so I don't even do that now. Some house parties are ok, but it depends whose it is...

I'd much rather stay at home, have a hot bath and snuggle with Spooks on the sofa :eek:

I hope your Halloween party goes well, sounds like you've put lots of planning into it! :D

9. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

I'd come to yours :D Any excuse to dress up, drink and a good shin dig :)

We normally go round to my sister in laws for halloween with fun and games and I love it!!

I still think its rude of people not to reply. Even if its only a small gathering. It'll still be fun.

10. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Im 21 and OH is 28 we are not the clubbing type/partying getting hammered every weekend type but any chance for a small get together and dress up for Halloween and Im there! lol

11. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

I don't even know how anyone can afford to drink in pubs anymore. I mean the prices are extortionate. £4.50 for a large white wine when I can get a whole bottle from the local corner shop for a fiver and 4 cans of beer for £3.50 for hubby. Needless to say we stay in!

BTW my sister brews her own beer nowadays and have "beer nights" where her friends bring all their latest "brews" to taste and sample. Hmmmmm sounds quite explosive lol!

#11 Iheartcats, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

I'm 28 and have never enjoying clubbing etc (and have never been to a hallowe'en party) :( but do love a night in the pub for a good old chat although haven't done this for about 3 years :(

All my friends are married, have kids or are pregnant so they have mothers meetings instead which I'm never invited to and they usually do this during the day as they are all either on maternity leave or work part time as they have little ones. I work full time so am definitely part of the clique anymore :( :frown2:

13. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I know the feeling!! I'm around your age too and single, never liked clubbing, but enjoy the pub when I go with friends, but wish I could go out more often, especially as my job is rather stressful with long hours so I'm often not around at the right time :(

14. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

I hate it. We all used to be so close and I understand their priorities have changed but it would just be nice for them to think of me just the once :( :(

15. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

I understand that. I found I was really lonely between the ages of 24 and 30 :eek: Even though I was married at 27 I never had a "best friend" I could call upon and have girly chats. I worked in a different town to where I lived so at 5.30pm I'd say goodbye to colleagues and drive home to Andy and try and off load my frustrations to him and he never really got it being a bloke and all so in the end I thought sod it! I'm getting pregnant and quitting work and I've never looked back. I've made loads of friends since and even met my best friend at a mother and baby group and we were the only ones that turned up and that was 13 years ago!!

I hated my 20's. 30's were the best years and now I am in my early 40's and just happy to chill round other peoples houses for girls nights in instead :)

16. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

i know how u all feel im 21 but im a really mature 21yr old due to having to grow up fast as a child as i was a carer for my mum from 8yrs old. To me iv never loved big nights out its just a waste of cash me and OH have a date night rule where once a month we go out to local bar for a game of pool and a few drinks, thats usually it i just dnt see the point in wasteing my hard earned cash on beer when i can get a bottle of wine, a dvd and a takeaway and go round to either my friends house or go home and relax so much better in my opinion. As far as friends go most of my friends are male but i dnt have many friends my age as i cant relate to them iv worked since i left school unlike all my friends who went to college and uni and iv lived on my own since i was 18 ( mums health got better :) ) and now im bk home with OH saving for a deposit for our own house where as everyone i know goes ojt blowing cash on nights out, one of my best friends is actually a 31 yr old mum of 2 lol

17. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

How annoying, I'm desperate to be invited to a Halloween party so I have an excuse to dress up! Seen some amazing costumes.. :( and I'm sure that I'm considered as one of the 'boring' ones amongst my friends lol.

18. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

I'm 37 and my OH is 52 and sometimes I wish we had a whole weekend without something going on. There is always some party we have to go to and this weekend we should have been at 4 places at once. We split it up between us and managed to go to 2.

But I don't do Halloween tbh. It's American, I'm British. We are adopting too much from the USA. How many of you have had or are doing bonfire parties? Soon we will be eating our Christmas turkey in November on Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

19. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

Gosh I wish I had your social calendar :eek: My sis in law will phone up and say "Rach, what are you doing on such and such a day cos we want to invite you all over" and I don't even have to consult the calendar because I just know we have diddly squat on!! Sad or what!!!

We do go to my sister in laws for bonfire night. Its always a blast. One time my brother in law attached a catherine wheel to the shed and while we were all oohing and arrring over the firework one of the nosey neighbours called the fire brigade as they thought the shed was on fire. Jan and I had a bit to drink and when we saw the firemen we thought it was a joke arranged by said bro in law as a bit of "female entertainment" lol!

Halloween is totally different in the US all the kids dress up as fairies, lady birds, bunnies or the like. There doesn't seem to be the same "spooky" connotations as over here.

20. mystra

mystra PetForums Member

i love Halloween and fancy dress! we do fancy dress at work - last year we were zombies and i i did everyone's facepaint, great fun! this year it's superheroes, i'm going as a very low budget Iron Man...even though i'm a girl lol. the i'm playing a roller derby bout with a halloween theme at weekend (we're skeletons, don't know what the opposition will be dressing as!)

But i do know the feeling...

You see, i'm a December baby - and i've spent ages organising little birthday gatherings at the pub etc to celebrate, and everyone's up for it etc etc only for no-one to turn up or start with the 'sorry i can't...Christmas is coming' excuses two days before. So i've given up - it sounds childish but it's not my fault i was born in December :( i never want presents or to be bought a drink etc just the company of my mates (and i've got cheap taste when it comes to places to go out too i don't do big blow out nights out etc!)

It's made me not like my birthday anymore :( even at work - everyone in team gets a cake made and a little token pressie - i've lost count how many envelopes i've put a few quid in for birthdays there - come my birthday - nothing. i sound a bit spoiled i know but i wont contribute anything anymore as it really upset me (thought my workmates were close friends - now i don't)

This year i will be rocking out in front of the telly after eating too much take away with the OH - he always turns up! :D :D

OP - sod everyone else, they can't handle how fun and awesome you are, they must be very boring! I hope you carry on that way when you're 100-odd - never too old!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice