Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Little and Large.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by suewhite, May 2, 2017.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

18194975_1257525521033370_393494946216738339_n.jpg Very odd friends :) 18194975_1257525521033370_393494946216738339_n.jpg

2. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Sorry don't know how I did that twice.x

3. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Look lovely together, how long have you you had them?

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Gentle old dog and young pup?

5. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Pup belongs to my friend Rona (I am not a pup person) Greyhound is an ex racer but he loves small dogs smaller the better. 11091340_1590292144552467_6931731264233989724_njerry.jpg

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Does the pup feel the same way?

The best couple of dogs I've walked together was a big old Lab and a little CavxPoodle pup.

He gave her so much confidence and he loved watching her chasing around the wood :)

lullabydream and suewhite like this.
  7. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Pup (Polly) loves him and looks in amazement at his long legs I keep telling her she will never grow legs like that.:):)

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Awww they look lovely together

:eek: Dash her dreams!

9. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Lovely pic, they do make a sweet pair.

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My Eevee whose a chihuahua is besotted with Maisie my lurcher...she's realised very quickly that Maisie can be a gateway to food if we aren't vigil enough...having no counter surfers for a good while we got lazy...so Eevee follows Maisie tail wagging in to the kitchen! They do love to play together though...and give humans love at the same time!

Love the pictures Sue...they are priceless

suewhite likes this.
  11. lullabydream

Just snapped this...my little and large!

WP_20170503_001.jpg

12. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

awwhh what breed is the little one? I do like the little long haired chihuahua's but my brothers have got big dogs and we often get together including the dogs (although sadly we've lost 3 of them in the last year) they had all grown up around each other.

1 bro still has a largish dog (lab cross) and we've never owned a dog as tiny as chihuahua so there fragility scares me a bit, especially around a bigger dog whose a bit clumsy but soft as a brush. He def wouldn't deliberately hurt it I just worry it would get accidentally injured and there's so many stories about of little dogs being picked up and shook and killed by bigger dogs whilst on on walks around lately. I'd be scared to let off or let another dog near it outside I think!

#12 Phoenix Rising, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My ex racer Button used to have several little friends in my chihuahuas although I don't have any phoos of them together and as Button went to rainbow bridge suddenly last year I can't get any.

14. lullabydream

Am anti social and don't let my dogs interact with other dogs anyway, unless I truly know them, regardless of size.

Its unfortunate that simple biology means the smaller the dog when attacked by another dog, especially one with prey drive, following predatory drift sequence perhaps will not back down and will be tenacious and will likely do a lot of damage to smaller dogs and puppies than larger dogs.

As a good dog owner your focused as much as humanly possible on walks to try and avoid and second guess situations which may arise. Not the typical walking glued to your mobile.

If two dogs are playing together regardless of size, as an owner you supervise so nothing gets out of hand and play doesn't turn volatile. This is no different to allowing small and larger dogs play.

In general my minibeasts play rough together upstairs away from my larger dogs, so no squeak or movement can encourage an innate response predatory drift.

All in all just use common sense, toy breeds shouldn't be that tiny, but people unfortunately breed 'teacup' varieties and some litters will get anomalies of slightly smaller, or slightly larger than breed standard.

In my experience Chihuahuas aren't as fragile as everyone thinks, and toy breeds in general. I had the fear of stepping on Stan, as he was my first toy breed, but they seem to have great spatial awareness, unlike any of my other dogs I have owned. If raised properly, they are fantastic dogs, and love being just that a dog.

Saying all this, if any dog is hell bent on attack it can happen anywhere, places where you least expect it. So please don't let the fear of I can't have this toy breed because it will get attacked put you off...it would be ashame.

One word of warning..long coat chis moult like crazy. Cleo is like having a cat..you can tell where she sits, its absolutely amazing but at least my zoom groom is fantastic for removing hair from furniture...and Cleo's hair looks stunning so all is forgiven!

Phoenix Rising likes this.
  15. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

I don't mind moulting, would prefer a breed that just needs a good brush than professional clipping. My bro's dog leaves a layer of blond hairs over the rugs/carpets etc anyway!

16. lullabydream

I just give Cleo a good brush...and I hack her trousers and tail myself once a year..it grows its fine. I suppose you could book in to the groomers once a year but I don't bother! She has a magnificent tail though! Oh and her feet get hairy too, so I trim them. Its not taxing though. My Yorkie goes to the groomers regularly.

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I agree that a lot of toy brreds are tougher than they look but not all are italian greyhounds are very delicate and can easily break a leg and don't I know it you always have to be aware of what they are doing and were they are. On the other hand my chihauhaus have been sat on more times than I care to remember they have a habbit of jumping onto the chair behind you just as you sit down.

Moulting wise yes the long coated chihauhaus do moult terribly but their hair easily comes of clothes wereas the short hair is harder to remove but neither moult as much as a spitz Bear has been blowing his coat for about 2 months now and the more you brush him the more comes out. I can get enough hair out of him to make another 2 the same size as him he should be bald the amount I have got out of him since he started blowing his coat but he still looks like he has a full coat as his new coat is coming in underneath.

Phoenix Rising likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice