Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter Tray trouble

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by juzzyjuz, Apr 26, 2011.

1. juzzyjuz

juzzyjuz PetForums Junior

Hi can anyone help me i have a slight problem. I have 4 kittens and two of them have taken to peeing on the carpet by the front door. They only have supervised access in the room but the two girls have stated to prefer that patch of carpet over the litter tray. They were previously doing it behind the telly so i moved the litter tray but obviously as its right in front of the door its not as if i can get another tray to put over the wet patch on the carpet.

I have thoroughly washed it with carpet shampoo and also with biological washing powder but they are still going back to the same spot to pee and willow has now gone there to poo even tho they know where the litter tray is.

Any help and advice greatly apprieciated am willing to try anything cos its a rented house and the landlord isnt going to be too impressed with cat pee on the carpet lol

2. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Hi, sorry for the late response, you may have already solved your problem by now!
    Firstly, how many litter trays do you have? There is a rule of thumb (see Vicky Halls' books) that you should have one litter tray per cat plus one, it could be that the two who are using the tray are more dominant than those who aren't and are therefore preventing the other two from using it. It may also be the type of litter you are using. Some cats prefer softer type of litter as the harder stuff is often uncomfortable under paw.
    To keep them away from the carpet which they seem to prefer, have you tried using a 'Behave Spray'? This is a citrus type smelly spray which cats don't like. You could spray it close to the area where they go to keep them away from it, however, unless you solve the problem of why they are not using the litter tray in the first place, you may just end up moving the problem elsewhere.
    Not sure if this helps, but it may all be worth a try? Good luck! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice