Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

litter tray location

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kingston, Jul 22, 2009.

1. kingston

kingston PetForums Junior

Hi again, I'm wondering where you all keep your litter trays. We have a few options...a) in the utility room BUT (semi-open to kitchen) b) in our bedroom or c) in the hall but would have to go under stairs and might be awkward for kitties d) in large walk in cupboard in hall but that would mean we would lose storage space and would have to remember to keep door open all the time. Anyone want to share where they keep theirs and let me know what you think? TIA :)

#1 kingston, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

From what you have said i would go for the utility :)

x

3. kingston

Thanks acacia86. I think its between the utility room and the bedroom. Concerned about it being sort of open to kitchen. Does anyone keep theirs in the their bedroom?

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Mine is in the kitchen/diner, it is a fairly big open plan and i have no problem. I have had many trays in my bedroom! When my girls were having their kittens my bedroom was the maternity suite!!! So i had trays and food etc up there! lol!! I really is which ever you wnat and that your cat is comfortable with. If your kitchen/utility is a very busy area without a spare quiet corner then maybe somewhere else is best.
    Do you have a standard tray or a closed one? A closed one keeps smells in and most litter in the tray too!!

5. kingston

Thanks again. I take it you are a bit of a night owl also! I think I might opt to put it in the bedroom. It is much quieter/private up there. I guess I was just worried about waking up to a smell in the mornings. We have a covered tray with a door flap but breeder says we will have to take door off-something to do with the exotic short hairs faces being so flat. I will leave the door off intially as that is what breeder has done and what kittie is used to and then maybe after a while put door on again and see how it goes. Thanks so much again for your help!

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I have no experiance of exotic at all but I can't see why they could not use the flap same as any other cat, anyone have any clue??

I left the flap of for the first week or two just so they could learn what it was for and I have a litter tray in the porch, under the stairs, the upstairs landing and the bathroom.

As long as you keep them clean you don't need to worry about smells and I find that the wood pellet litter is the best at absorbing.

Hope this helps.

7. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

I ahve a small side bit to my kitchen, I call it the pantry but it's basically an under stairs cupboard with no door, just a curtain. I keep all my cleaning things on the shelves in there, the recycling gets sorted in there, the bin is in there and ofc the litter tray. they are perfectly happy with it there.

I have put one in Oscars room as well for now and also one tucked away in the living room but he's started to just go and use the one in the kitchen now.

I would suggest as long as it's cleaned frequently and not near any food then it would be fine in the kitchen/utility :)

8. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Ours was in the utility room too but my husband hated it being in there. He got annoyed when he would go to iron his clothes and there was a cat having a poop in front of him haha!!!

Ours is now in the back room, its an extension to the house. Its right by the doors, in nice weather I put it outside (to try and get them to go outside to toilet!) but I bring it in if its raining. All mine are happy with this.

I have to clean my tray out twice a day though. I only have one VERY large litter tray that all 6 of my kittys use. I was going to get a couple but they dont mind sharing so I didnt see the point :D

9. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

as i keep my kitten in the kitchen at nights until my other 2 cats tolerate him more, i keep his closed in litter box in there with him, the other 2 have their's in my bedroom, again they are both the closed in boxes and they keep in a lot of smells lol also i do have 1 of those auto spray air fresheners in there set to spray every 30mins, makes life fresher :D esecially when 1 cat has a tendancy to use his box just as i am waking up

10. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i had mine in my kitchen and it caused no problems altho my kitchen is not very big and it was takin up loads of room. so now its in the bathroom, kinda makes sense to me as theres already a toilet in there.

11. kingston

Can I ask where you got your litter tray? I am looking for an extra large one as exotic is a boy and breeder says he will get big and also our other moggie will share it. I have been reading that its best to have a least one litter tray for each cat but my breeder says not necessary. I hope they will share cause I don't have that much room for two litter trays. I thought if I got a really large one they could possibly share.

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I normally just have a hooded large on in the kitchen. Though as we have the kittens at the mo I also have one in the dining room (off the kitchen) and one in the living room. I personally would hate to have one ithe bedroom - knowing how 'full' the tray is in the kitchen every morning I think the pong would annoy me all night.

13. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

I keep mine in the hallway under the stairs but it's open (not a cupboard). I got my litter tray from zooplus, it's big, closed in, comes with a free scoop and is currently in the sale. It's called the Gimpet Deluxe. :D

Gimpet Deluxe Cat Toilet: Litter Boxes at zooplus

14. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Jumbo Oval Cat Litter Tray with Rim by Savic-Litter trays-Pets at Home: Buy Pet Supplies from our Online UK Pet Shop

Does for my lot :D

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Lol!! Yeah i am!!! I love the nights!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice