Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter training help needed

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lilolil88, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Lilolil88

Lilolil88 PetForums Junior

Hi, I have got 2 Bengal kittens which we brought home on Tuesday. They are 8 weeks old males and both from the same litter. There were 4 kittens in the litter and they all shared the same litter tray.

We had a few accidents with both kittens the first couple of days which I expected. I kept putting them in the litter tray after feeding and upon waking up.

One of them now seems to always go and use the litter tray and touch wood we have not had any accidents with him the last few days.

The other seems to have been using the litter tray for a couple of days but has now gone back to going outside of the litter tray. He only seems to do this during the day when they are allowed out to roam the house. He seems to go in their bed or next to the litter tray.

I have tried buying another litter tray in case they didn't want to share one anymore but this hasn't made any difference. I am using wood pellet litter which the lady we got them from was using.

I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions. Thanks.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

At 8 weeks these kittens are really too young to have left their mum and accidents can be expected - not all kittens get the idea of litter training at the same time, like children.
    However if he has been using the tray regularly up until now I'd take him to the vet to check for any infection - a UTI can cause cats too look for somewhere other than the litter tray and often they chose somewhere soft - like their bed. Make sure you clean any areas that he uses accidentally with a biological washing powder or something like Simple Solution on floors or carpets.
    A second tray is still a good idea.

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Also I wonder is a softer litter might help owing to his tendency to favour these areas. A second tray of this would be worth trying.

4. Lilolil88

They were fully litter trained before we went and collected them which is why I am confused as to why he has only started going elsewhere now they are with us.

I am using exactly the same litter as the breeder but I was considering whether to try some non-clumping clay litter to see if that makes a difference. Or I did think about buying a jumbo litter tray or a hooded one to see if that makes any difference.

I am scooping the litter daily and completely changing the litter trays probably every other day.

I am not sure what is going to be best. Or whether I should just stick with it for a bit longer and see how he gets on as we haven't quite had them a week yet. Not sure if I'm being impatient.

5. Lilolil88

I also meant to mention that if you place him in the litter tray he will go. Sometimes he gets straight back out but I guess he might not need to go then.

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

As has been said - 8 weeks is still very young - I'm assuming the 'breeder' you got them from wasn't gccf, tica or fife registered - I say' breeder' cos no proper breeder wold let them go that young. I hope you haven't just been sold a tabby and they've called it a Bengal these a lot of that about!

I would restrict their access to one room (pref with an easily cleanable floor) and only let them out when supervised and then only into a couple of rooms with a tray in each. When I have kittens or bring a new one home I have a tray in every room I let them in as they are young and can't hold on (like toilet training a toddler).

Piccies please.

7. Lilolil88

No the seller wasn't a proper breeder. Her cat had had a litter of kittens and she was selling them. I am pretty certain they are bengals judging by their markings and we saw the mum.

They are kept in the kitchen when we are asleep or if we are out, and then we let them out downstairs in the living room as well when we are home and are being supervised.

I have got two litter trays either side in the kitchen so I might get another one for the living room.

I am currently using wood pellet litter but I was considering trying cats best oko plus litter to see if he prefers that but I am not sure if the litter is the problem as that is what the breeder was using and he does go when I put him in the tray. The problem seems to be him going and getting in the tray by himself when he needs to go.

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Bengals are more than markings - why not post a piccy and let TB our resident Bengal expert take a swizz - many people call tabbies bengal especially if they are classic tabbies. But bengals have a particular head shape etc - unless a bengal is mated with another bengal then you have a cross/ moggy. I don't want to rain on your parade but many bybs are unscrupulous and the number of adverts I have seen for bengals when it is obvious they are a tabby moggy is in the hundreds!

10. Lilolil88

Here is a picture of my two babies. The black one has got dark brown markings in his fur which you can't really see in photos. He has got thick stripes and markings I can decribe as circles down his side.

Any other help/ideas about the litter training will be helpful. Not sure whether to leave them a bit longer and see how he gets on, or whether to change the type of litter. Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay firstly they are 6 weeks old not 8 - their eyes haven't changed yet (that's how you can age them) so they are very, very young - no ownder they are having litter problems. Secondly the black one will lose the tabby markings as he ages - they are what we call ghost markings. They aren't bengal - I'm sorry - they are beautiful moggies. The other one is a brown tabby. Looks like a mackerel tabby - bengals are normally spotted, marble or rosetted. I think you were had I'm afraid! I hope you didn't pay a lot for them.

Litter wise - definitely keep them confined to a small space, they are too small to be able to hold on to get from one room to another to get to a tray.

12. Lilolil88

I have put up a photo showing the litter with the Mum.

The "tabby" one has got spots down the back of him and on his stomach but you cannot really see them from the photo I put up. The black one's markings are actually getting more prominant the older he is getting. They do not look like normal tabby markings. I am not sure about the eyes as not sure exactly what you mean by them changing. They were born on 1st December 2011 so they will be 8 weeks on Thursday.

The lady we brought them from is a real cat lover and has got 4 cats herself so I trust her and do not believe she would tell us anything incorrect.

I have taken them to the vets as well and they said they are bengals.

I still love them all the same no matter what they are, as they are beautiful kittens.

Attached Files:

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Aye well could be wrong - sorry if I am. They are gorgoeus

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya I breed bengals, and im really sorry but they arent bengals :( mum could possible be a snow spotted, however her fur doesnt look like pelt, so she may be a cross, I dont know Id have to see mroe pictures. Im guessing that dad wasnt available to be viewed...so I think that she just let mum outside, No cat lover would do this, hope you didnt pay alot of money for them?

The kittens are def not bengals, they are lovely little moggies, I hope you enjoy them, but they have been taken from mum 4-5weeks too early, so you may have problems, and they should have been fully litter trained before leaving mum.

Again anyone looking for a bengal kitten please reasearch they need to be PK-Def tested parents along with HCM, price is around £400-650 depending on pattern, they must NOT leave parents untill 12-16weeks of age due to the nature, badly reared bengals are devils, good ones, angels with devil horns ;)

the 'tabby' is just that, a marking, when people view my cats they think my 15year old moggie is a bengal as his spotted... the black one is just a black moggie, he isnt what is refered to as 'smoke or melanlistic', and one is ginger... sorry, vets know nothing about pedigrees, they called my moggie a siamese once, and my ragdolls siamese, they just know illness! lol :)

#14 Taylorbaby, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice