Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter training advice

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by clareuk, Sep 11, 2013.

1. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Hi all, ill just give a quick update on Lola and the Kittens first for those of you who have been helping me out on my posts.
    Lola's teats are still very swollen, they don't seem to bother her at all though. She has now finished her antibiotics, so I think we will have to go back to the vet to check why they're still swollen.
    I done as advised and weighed the kittens to see if they were gaining weight. they were all feeding from the 1 good teat and only gained 4g in 2 days. them bottom 2 teats are definitely not producing any milk, so I hand fed which seems to have wrked out well, 1 kitten will only feed off Lola, wnt eat cat food yet and wnt have bottle milk. 2 will eat cat food and have now Mastered the bottled milk and they sometimes still go to Lola for a little milk. they're all gaining great weight! Now they're all settled and in a feeding routine, they're all back in their own little bedroom now.
    I think I'm at the stage now of litter training, I know Lola is supposed to show them but I'm not sure if she may need a helping hand. Bella has pee'd on me and the floor twice and we seem to have a bed wetter, it may even be all of them wetting the bed. I was also greeted by a curly mr whippy on the floor this morning too... Nice! Do I start putting them in the litter tray after they've eaten? Any good tips please? X

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Are you sure they are over swollen - boobs do swell and grow when they have milk in them.

3. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

They're hard swollen Spid and the teat is just gone,
    It's just a hard mass? X

4. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

I've tried to take a picture but this doesn't really do it justice how hard lumpy they are

Attached Files:

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Oh yes, that's not nice. Def back to the vets.

6. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

They were like this when we last went Spid only they felt warm to touch and red. Now the warm and redness has gone but they're still hard. Vet said he didn't think it was mastitis and just gave us a weeks worth of antibiotics and a bottle of anti inflammatories. I hope she's ok. Any idea what it could be? X

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Yes, back to the vets about her mastitis. She might need a different antibiotic - if they are going to clear things up it's normally very quick to the problem improving though of course you finish the course.

The original query - litter training - since you are hand feeding, pop the kitten on the tray before & after each feed. If you are stimulating them to 'go' do it over the tray and pop them on as they 'go'.

If you catch any of them in the act, pop them on the tray.

Wash anything you can that they've soiled using biological washing liquid, and make sure it's a decent size tray. I found mine didn't like the small show trays even when they were tiny and prefered a larger taller tray.

As with human babies it takes time and you will have some accidents along the way.

8. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Its the milk not been drained what causes it.In time it will go down but its not very nice for the and painful.I would also say back to the vets,she may be over the worst but if not it cat turn pretty nasty in some cases.

9. we love bsh's

oh if you get any kitten poo's pop them into the litter tray.

10. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Thanks all. I love this forum! We love bhs- do you think it
    Will take more antibiotics? Just concerned that she's been on antibiotics for 2 weeks in total. 2 different types of antibiotics too and they're still hard lumps x

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Crikey.. if that's mastitis then virtually every queen I've ever bred from has had mastitis from around weaning time onwards :confused:

12. we love bsh's

I have had a girl in the past who couldnt feed her kittens as a result the boobs were hard (not infected) just hard and it lasted perhaps a week until the milk had properly dried up itsself.

Having BF myself when i have stopped the breast feeding (cold turkey) the breast will go hard and it is really painful until the milk dries up.The baby was 1 year and i had to get him off the breast but boy was it painful .So i do feel for your cat.

I cant say how bad your cat is but a vet should beable to tell you if you are worried.:)

13. gskinner123

I'm just not sure what you'd class as mastitis in cats; looking at the photo here and reading other breeders' comments has made me wonder. Virtually all of the queens I have bred from (bar those few who seem to produce very little milk) have mammary glands that become very enlarged and a bit hard and lumpy - this either happens when the kittens really start tucking into solids and feeding from mum a lot less but more often when the kittens have gone to their new homes or if I've had to remove them from mum before 13 weeks/ish. They never look or appear to be in discomfort and I suppose I've always thought of mastitis as something worse and more 'specific' than swollen, lumpy teats.

14. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Hi, my vet had said he doesn't think it's mastitis so it may not be.

15. we love bsh's

Id think mastitis to be red hot hard swollen.

I think the ops cat just has a milk build up..engorged.Which does hurt from my own experience.But i dont think its infected from looking at the pics.

My own girls too go hard like your D,if they dont have the kittens to drain the milk but it soon dries up,until then i do feel for them.

But no i dont think it looks like mastitis just the milk build up which will dry up in time,but op if you are worried you will have to go vets.

16. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Thanks :) she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all so it may just be the milk drying up in them teats. Ill give her a few days and keep an eye on her, if they appear red or warm etc again or anything at all is a concern ill take her back the vet. Thinking back it may have been the kittens that caused them to be red and warm and not any infection in the first place from trying to get milk out?

17. gskinner123

Quite truthfully it doesn't look anything like mastitis to me either but this thread has made me question my judgment.

I would have been very reluctant to have started antibiotics or continued with such a long a course if, as your vet suspects, there is no infection/mastitis present.

18. we love bsh's

hmm,red possibly but not hot the kittens couldnt make that happen.:)

19. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Vet didnt seem to think it was mastitis, as for any kind of infection he must
    have suspected something. It's hard to explain the whole story isn't it when people who haven't seen previous threads read the next thread. The 1st lot of antibiotics was because one of the kittens had created a hole/wound on Lola's belly, the antibiotics were to help it heal and not get infected, seperate problem was her bottom 2 teats were just getting no break from the kittens and became increasingly agrivated looking. Back to the vets we went and because she had been on antibiotics and the teats still looked agrivated, she was given different antibiotics but vet didnt think it was mastitis.

20. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

It's not mastitis ... She just as a back up .... Rosie was the same with one of her glands as the kittens preferred a different one all of a sudden . . I just kept putting the biggest kit onto het to drain it ... Rosie had mastitis in her bottom glands ... Horrible to look at ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice