Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter training a kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sharonreeves03, Apr 25, 2011.

1. sharonreeves03

sharonreeves03 PetForums Junior

Hiay, I'm here again, and finding this forum a godsent......

I gained a new addition to my family last wednesday bit out of the blue and unexpected!! and she hasnt got to grips with the litter tray. I have to keep a close eye on her and when i see her cratching the floor, she is lifted and placed in the cat litter tray, however, she just keeps jumping out and doing it on the news paper around the litter tray. I have tried moving the paper so she would use the litter tray but does it on the floor. We were out for the day yesterday and my neighbour kindly came in to see her as we hadnt actually planned gaining a kitten. Last night when we got home, she had wee'd on the couch a couple of times instead of the litter tray.

I have checked out the internet and a couple of suggestions are to use citrus air fresher and scrub where they have soiled, which is what i have done. Any advise anyone can give me.

Roughly how long can it take for a kitten to be properly litter trained.

Many Thanks and looking forward to the replies x:blink:

2. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Hiya

Not sure I can lend any advice as to litter training as it's been so long since I've had to do it. I do remember having two litter trays in the house though, so my cat had more of a chance and my vet did recommend just to keep taking them to the tray.

Soda water is good for getting rid of the odour of wee, just pour a small amount on the patch and rub with a damp cloth - not sure why it works but it does! Also I think some bicarb of soda placed over the area and then hoovered up helps.

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old is your kitten?

Another thing is the size of the tray and especially how high the sides are. Easy access is important! I started with a seed tray and very absorbent litter though their mother took over the training! You need to be vigilant and continue moving her onto the tray as soon as you notice she's about to go elsewhere. Normally kittens learn very quickly!

For the moment you could try using shredded newspapers in the tray and gradually introduce litter along the way.

#3 Ianthi, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

It could be your new kittie doesn't like the kind of litter being used - I've recently litter trained 2 adult cats as they weren't ever trained at all!

You can keep just putting kittie into the tray and should eventually get the message.

The quickest I found (have had to litter tray many cats and kittens in the past - including for other people) would be to go and buy several new litter trays and a couple of different kinds of litter, also try just digging up some soil out of the garden for one to.

Place stratigically around the house - basically where kittie is likely to go but also somewhere where your happy to have a litter tray (one of my 2 kept doing it in the middle of the staircase but not practical so placed at the bottom of the stairs so in plain sight for her to see)

Hopefully she will be inclined to use a particular tray and then you can just slowly remove the others one at a time.

(some pound shops sell shallow cat litter trays so its not too expensive :D)

5. sharonreeves03

Thank for your responses. She has a litter tray with the wooden pallets that absorb. I have made a make shift roof on it, out of a walkers crisp box incase it was a little privacy she wanted. I am going to try a different litter in there and see if that helps. We were told she is only 10 weeks, however i feel that she is younger that this the vet will tell us more when we go this week.

We took her in as her owner wanted rid as she has 3 legs. I couldnt see a gorgeous little thing like Rosie lose or life for something so minor.

Thank you again and i shall keep you posted as to how we go......

xx;)

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Or you could try removing the cover to make it more visible! Some cats prefer it this way.

I've seen her photo on your other thread and she's absolutely gorgeous! Can't understand, like you why her owners would react this way. Well done you for rescuing her!

7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I think what you are doing is great......:D

Indy wasnt litter trained when she came to us...took about a week to train her.

She was doing it by the tray but not in it.

I put three small litter trays in her room...i used catsan hygenic stone granules and put her in there as much as i could...digging her little paws in there for her.

After clearing up one puddle of wee...i rubbed the soiled kitchen roll across the stones and when she had a poop by the side of tray..i put a little bit back
    into the tray and let her sniff it.

I like to clear up soiled areas straight away in my litter trays normally but as advised on here...i think she needed a little bit of a pointer in that direction.

Found that worked really well...in a week she was going in the tray.

Good luck..you will both get there ;)

Kelly xx

8. sharonreeves03

I did have it uncovered since we got her, but she keeps hiding to her stuff, so i thought i would make this and then see what happens.............i have been and got some other cat litter today, so she has half and half in her litter tray.....no accidents yet, but i have had to pick her up and place her in the tray again........we wil get there, all takes time...lol xx

9. sharonreeves03

Hi all,

Well we seemed to have cracked it with Rosie, she is using her litter tray now as i have removed all newspaper and plastic bags out of kitty reach, she has newspaper and plastic bag under the litter, then a nappy sac sat ontop for the crinkling sound. We had a tiny accident yesterday, but it was a new tunnel i had bought her, so she may have just been leaving her scent on it.........lol. But she is doing fab...........:D

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Awwww, how lovely to hear Rosie is getting everything sorted. :)

My boys hated the wood pellets. I've tried to get them off the grey granules type stuff several times but to no avail. They are quite happy with Morrisons own brand litter and I've to stop messin' with them!!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice