Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter probs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by queentutti, May 7, 2010.

1. queentutti

queentutti PetForums Junior

I have a 9 month old kitten who doesnt seem to know that he hasn't finished pooing. He goes into his litter box but when he comes out he still has poo stuck to him so it drops on the carpet. It doesnt happen all the time though. Does anyone elses cat do this?

2. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

This happened with one of our adopted cats- he was 5 months old when we adopted him, and the shelter told us he'd had diarrhoea as long as he'd been with them. We got the runny poo sorted through diet, but the poor cat was obviously not used to having solid poo, as he used to run around with poo stuck to him, or still poking out his back end (ugh!)

We eventually took him to the vet who gave him Katalax - basically a mild laxative which made his poo a bit softer. It worked. Maybe it'd do the same for yours? It could be his poo is taking too long to pass, so he thinks he's finished. Is his poo quite hard? What's he eating?

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Is he a long haired cat by any chance?
    I had to tease poop from my long haired kitten when he had similar problems or he'd get it everywhere when he sat on the furniture.
    I swear by sensitive dry cat food - never looked back!

4. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

Oh I know how you feel.....my female is exactly the same, she is a semi-longhair and sometimes this happens to her, she will go in her litter box, do her business and then come out and have poo stuck to her fur or her petticoats as I call them, so in the end I trimmed her fur around her legs and bottom.......this really helped as poo doesn't get caught in her fur now. :)

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

It might be an idea to keep the bum fur shorter than the rest of the hair for ease.

6. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Sorry just saw this post and you said the same thing!! Lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice