Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter Problem

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hungry Horace, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace PetForums Newbie

We've had our kitten Pandora for 4 and a half weeks and she is 5 months old.
    As I posted in a previous thread she was very ill but has made a complete recovery.
    Now we have a different problem, she has started doing number 2 on the tiled floor and not in the litter tray, she pees in the litter tray ok.
    It first happened this morning about 1 metre from the tray was a poo. I thought maybe minor mishap as this is the first problem we have had, cleaned and disinfected the area and thought no more about it. However tonight I was just tidying the tray before bed and Pandora jumped on the tray to pee. I let her finish and I continued to tidy and I noticed her go to where I found the poo this morning, paw the tiles a few times and proceed to do the same again, I quickly grabbed her and threw her in the tray and managed to catch half.
    I don't know what has happened as until this morning there hasn't been one mishap.
    The only thing I can say is that last Tuesday we changed litter to oko plus, but she has been fine using that for last 5 days, the problem only started today.
    I must say I am a little baffled and any ideas as to why she has suddenly started doing this would be appreciated.

2. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

did you make a complete change or a gradual change?
    she might be just unsure of the new litter-
    but i think maybe she keeps going back to that spot to poo because even though you have disinfected it she still thinks to go there- maybe put the litter tray there so maybe she will see that she is MEANT to go in the tray:)

PS- i think we need some pictures of Pandora please :D!

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

What did you clean it with - a lot of household products contain bleach which contains ammonia which encourages a cat to go back to the same place - I'd use Simple Solution personally - it's the only thing I've even found that works.

4. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies. It's a strange one as she has been fine for 4 weeks and only yesterday this problem started. She still uses the tray to pee just not to poo. I bought some Simple solution today do I will see what happens.
    Regarding changing the litter it was an immediate change but she was fine for 4-5 days with it. I have bought some of the old litter so if the solution doesn't work I will swap back and see if it makes a difference.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Some cats also like to pee in one tray and poop in another. And they can develop this fussiness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice