Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Litter minefield.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cully, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I've been using Catsan non clumping hygiene litter.
    I'm now looking for clumping that doesn't track too much. She is fussy about it hurting her paws too, which this does I think, as she's always shaking them after using the box. It's also rather dusty.
    Any suggestions please?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

As a breeder of several decades I think I have tried every cat litter known to man :) None are perfect and I think most of us end up settling on the one which has a drawback(s) we find easiet to live with.

For me, that is one of the very fine clumping litters - I buy Tigerino Nuggies from Zooplus. There are several other Tigerino fine clumping litters; more expensive, might be a little better but I haven't used them.

Nuggies tracks very minimally, conceals odours brilliantly, is very soft on cats' feet, keeps the tray very clean (you need to fill it quite deeply) and for me is the most economical to use.

Drawback...it's heavy and heavy to dispose of.

Cully likes this.
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I think clumping and soft on feet are the main things I want. No point using the best you can buy if it hurts her feet.
    Typical,I've just put in a Zooplus order. Oh well, at least it's an option so might give it a try. Thanks.

Ali71 likes this.
  4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I've been looking on Zooplus and there are several different kinds of Tigerino Nuggies. Would you mind telling me exactly which you use. Many thanks:)

5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I use Tigerino Canada. It's excellent for clumping, but does track quite a bit. It's a price I'm willing to pay though for the clumping properties it has.

I posted a thread a while back about a delivery from Zooplus where the bag had split and the box then been left in the rain.

That was a proper mess I can tell you ...

Cully likes this.
  6. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Oh heck, I bet that was messy.
    I spilt a clay litter on a wet bathroom floor once .I'm still cleaning up smudges of clay.:Banghead

7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Cully likes this.
  8. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Any Tigerino so long as 'Nuggies' and ensure its the fine grain one (it does say somewhere in the drop down product description) and not coarse grained. The only further difference between the fine grain Nuggies is some are scented..I choose whatever is cheapest.

Cully likes this.
  9. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

I’ve been using cats best Oko for months now and it’s very economical and clumps brilliantly andnis very soft. It tracks everywhere though I used to find it in all sorts of places.

When we placed our last wholesale order at the Cattery I ordered 3 bags of Petex Clean paws fine grained litter. I didn’t hold out much hope as grit litter with four cats tend to start stinking pretty quick. I’ve been quite surprised actually so far it’s not smelling too bad and it clumps well, sometimes the clumps do break but it tends to be if I accidentally stab them with the scoop when they’re buried.
    It was fairly inexpensive but I get it at wholesale prices.
    I love Oko though so much I usually end up going back to it, but I’m desperately trying to find a litter that matches up to it.

Attached Files:

10. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I know. The more I tried to wash it off the more it smeared and it got tracked all thru the flat :Arghh
    That's when I changed from clay to the Catsan. It was ok when Moo was going outside but now the weather has made the ground too soggy for her to dig and rake over, so she prefers to use her litter tray 80% of the time. I expect she will return to going outside come spring. I found a frequently used tray is better with clumping litter.

11. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Aahhh the age old question: which litter?

I've tried everything (even Tigerino which I hated) and to be honest I've never found anything that comes close to EverClean. But now I can't get that I've struggled. I tried World's Best which I loved but unfortunately two of the cats hated so much they pee'd on the sofa until I switched back to grit. I've tried wood, paper, grit, corn but they all have their faults.

All I can suggest is you buy a small bag of various litters (enough to fill one tray) and try them out until you find one you can put up with.

chillminx likes this.
  12. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. And that will be different for each of us and will also depend on how our cats behave. Kito flings litter all over the place so tracking is the least of my worries. I use Oko Cats Best. It's light(ish) which is important as I can't carry clay litter, clumps well and the boys are happy using it. Tracks a fair bit but they all do.

Eww - bet that was awful.

I fell out of the shower into a tray of Oko. It may clump nicely when they pee on it but goes all mushy when it gets soaked. That was not a pleasant clean up.

Cully likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Like several others above ^^ I have tried just about every litter that exists and the only one I like (or find most "acceptable") is Worlds Best (standard green bag). The cats like it, it doesn't track much, it covers smells, it clumps well, and - importantly - I can actually lift a bag of it to refill the trays! :)

Cully likes this.
  14. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Just this last week I've been using Tesco clumping . IMG_20181207_094611.jpg
    It has large clumps which means using more litter than I prefer, and easily crumbles if not careful. No odour though and very little tracking. It is very heavy though so I do find it difficult.
    I have tried a variety of litters but the only one she hates was the wood pellets because I think it actually either hurt her feet or she felt insecure in it. She likes a solid surface under her.

15. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

I use Multi Litter, Clean & Tidy the pink bag, it is £5.99 for 7kg from Pets @ Home, but I get it from Amazon on Prime, 4 bags for £20. It clumps well, little or no odour & I don't find it tracks much. It has to be quite deep, just pick out the clumps & fill up when needed.

Cully likes this.
  16. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Can I barge in with another related question? I use Worlds Best which the girls like and it clumps well, doesn’t smell, lasts ages etc but wow does it track. What litter mats do you guys use? Those plastic mesh type ones that you get at [email protected] H do my head in because the litter all gets trapped in the little holes which does stop it tracking but doesn’t seem very hygienic. Also they are a bugger to clean and as Gypsy sometimes manages to pee over the edge of the tray, this is an issue. I generally chuck them away when this happens. What sort of mat would limit tracking and be easy to clean?

17. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

To be honest I just use an ordinary bathmat with rubber backing and chuck it is the wash mach when it needs it.
    I think a lot depends on the type of litter too and I found the Catsan type granules to be v bad for tracking, and the present Tesco clumping not too bad

Clairabella and catzz like this.
  18. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

I swear by super benek corn litter on zooplus. No going back.
    I should add - it clumps well, tracking is minimal and you can flush the poo, I never smell anything and visitors comment on the lack of cat smell too so it must be riught coming from people outside who dont have cats themselves. Its also a good price and lasts me 2 months for the 25 litre bag (I started out with the 7 litre bag to try)
    I scoop it with this scoop. I really love my scoop too :p Its huge! And will last forever
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0742CX3LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#18 Whompingwillow, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:26 PM
  19. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’m another one for Super Benek from Zoo+
    I love it, no smells, clumps really well, no tracking & a good price.

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes I agree Super Benek is very good value :). I use it in the upstairs litter trays as it is economical, but am not as keen on it as WB. I find SB's clumping ability not quite as good as WB's, and am not so keen on the musty smell of SB, which for some reason always starts me off sneezing!.

@catzz - these are the litter mats I use, not sure if they are the same as yours?:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...ccessories/pets-at-home-litter-mat-grey-large

I either take the mats up and shake the bits off outdoors, or go over them with the Dyson. To wash them my OH puts them on the patio and hoses them with the pressure hose. I haven't noticed bits remaining stuck in after that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice