Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter for kittens compared to cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jossie123, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jossie123

jossie123 PetForums Newbie

Morning all, I am new to this forum. I have a lovely cat called Emily who I got when she was two. I always use wood chip as a cat litter as thats what Emily had been used to and I have always found it ok, but I know its a personal and more importantly a cat based choice really. My Aunty is getting a lovely new kitten in a month and isn't sure about the best litter. She has had advice to use wood chip at first and then move onto something different when the kitten gets a bit older....Is this standard advice? Do you start with one type as a kitten and then move onto something else? What drives that decision? Many thanks in advance for any responses and advice x

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I tend to use catsan at first then. Move them onto my usual litter which is a clumping clay one. Small granules give cats their preferred digging substance and I've found mine won't use wood pellet at all.

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Our kittens at the rescue centre where I volunteer are usually happy to use the wood based litter, although personally I think the pieces are too big for their little paws ! Perhaps initially use the same litter that the kitten is used to and then change over gradually once they have settled in ?

4. jossie123

Thanks so much - will definitely pass on the advice. I think I have always stuck with wood chips with my lovely cat as she seems to be happy with it, but I feel like it seems to more 'normal' to move onto something different past the kitten phase (assuming they have been using woodchip in the first place!). And I just wasnt sure why this was the case really....

5. Bertie'sMum

I know that our rehoming centre uses woodchip because it is so cheap and we get through tons of the stuff ! (20+ cats needing their trays cleaned out daily = a LOT of litter :eek:)
    Personally at home I use a granulated clay based litter - with only one cat trailing litter isn't much of a problem. Lots os members here use World's Best and similar litters but my Bertie studiously avoided World's Best when I trialled it and would only use the tray with his 'normal' litter in !

6. jossie123

Oooooh I see. Is there more of a preference towards the clumping types of litter then?
    Have you come across anti-bacterial litter? I didn't know it was a thing to be honest, but my Aunty (who has researched this topic to death and got herself into a right muddle in the process!!!) has read up on them but the reviews seem a bit mixed. Same seems to go for scented.....not sure if you have had any experience of these types?

Sorry for offloading so many questions in your direction!!!

7. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Clumping makes for ease of cleaning out the tray, as you just scoop out the lumps. Scented litters are for the benefit of humans only and as cats noses are far more sensitive than our own I've often worried about how off putting they are. I have tried scented litters in the past but to be honest I don't think they are up to much.

Torin. likes this.
  8. Bertie'sMum

Personally smell (or lack of) isn't that important to me as I suffer from anosmia (little or no sense of smell) but I do use an odour control (not scented) litter as I don't want visitors to be assailed by kitty 'bathroom' smells ! If you have a search on here there are quite a few threads based on the different types of litters available.

9. davea

davea PetForums Newbie

I've returned to cat ownership after a few years break, and im amazed how good the massive sack of qood chol things are from Pets At Home

No small whatsover, really cheap as well

10. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

I think the wood at first might be recommended as young kittens often eat the litter, so clumping isn’t great. I had to put my 10 week old fosters on it as they thought World’s Best was yummy.

11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I have wondered if scented litter can be off putting to some cats. I use clumping but unscented.
    My sister used one made from recycled paper briefly after her kitten was neutered, as we read it can be good after a neuter/spay as softer in texture.

12. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

I recently accidentally bought scented clumping litter on zooplus. It’s great. Lemongrass smell which I thought my kitten would hate. But she loves it and it is much easier.

It’s my first experience of clumping litter and I am impressed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice