Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter Box With Door Issues

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kosha, May 19, 2010.

1. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Hey guys, I hope this problem hasn't been brought up too many times... didn't have the power to make a deep search before posting this :eek:
    We got our cat a closed litter box with a door a few months back. He is 1.5 years old, used an open litter box his first year. When we got him the closed one, he used to look at it like it's a space shuttle or something. Totally scared of the door... so we removed it for a while so he can get used to this whole walls and roof idea. He did get used to it, but when we put the door back he kept ignoring it. We tried all sorts of tricks like putting something between the box and the door so it would be half open - he used to buy it and get in, but when it closed behind him, he jumped outside and looked at us like it was all a conspiracy to trap him or something. We gave it some time, thought he eventually would have to use it and go in... but he preferred peeing on stacked piles of clothes rather then using that door.
    What else can we do to make him use it? We've been keeping the door unattached for a couple of months, but it kinda looses the effect of a closed box... since it's still smelly around it, and he drags the sand with him outside.

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Rilly didn't like hers when we first got it, and we too left the door off for a while.

When you pop the door back on, do you do it after cleaning it out? It might just be that if you did. I think how we eventually got Rilly to use her door, was by pushing her through it, so her head pushed the door open if you know what I mean, just gently. I think we had to do it a few times.

If you catch him peeing somewhere else, I'd immediately pop in in through the door, kind of associate the peeing with using the door.

As for the sand coming out, you'll find you still get that. He will have it all over his paws when he comes out. We have a door mat in front of Rilly's and she literally wipes her feet on exit :lol:

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Some cats will never use these, we have one boy who simply refuses so we remove the doors. At least it has sides to keep the litter in but you may have to accept that your cat doesn't want a door on his toilet.

4. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Guess so... it is hard to comprehend such low-standard privacy demands though... :)

5. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

I introduced Dorrie to a covered tray a couple of months ago and she took to it straightaway. Door as well! To be faur though where her tray is, there can be a lot of bustle and I think it gives her the privacy she needs, It can be quite funny somtimes as you can be looking for her and she just steps out of her tray. :rolleyes:

6. Kosha

Kosha PetForums Junior

Hehe... lucky you.
    My Kosha is still so paranoid about us closing the door on him that he usually does his needs while his head and two front legs are on the floor outside... It's hilarious!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice