Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter box issues

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Saf16, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Saf16

Saf16 PetForums Newbie

hi all, once again I’m not sure if this would be posted into the right section but I really hope it is this time!
    Anyway, last Friday, my cat had been ran over and diagnosed with a tail pull injury with nerve damage to her bladder and bowels. 3 days after this, she had regained some control back and was managing to wee in her litter box and poo normally, a few days after this we had to take a wee sample and change her litter. since then she has stopped going to wee in the litter box all together and has decided instead to just sleep it out which results in her leaking in her sleep. We really do not know what to do and have tried practically everything, we’ve kept her awake right after having a big bowl of water which results in her going to the litter tray, yet nothing ever comes out !! It’s seriously frustrating and we’ve ran out of ideas on what to do. how do we train the cat to wee in the litter box again? We’ve changed the litter back to her old one, we’ve bought another litter box for her to use and I just feel as though I can do no more!! Also, it’s not as if she’s stopped pooing in there which makes this situation all the more bizarre!

Soozi likes this.
  2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi Saf I’m sorry to hear this I would use her old litter tray and litter to start with. Do you still have to express her urine at all? Have you reported this new symptom to the vet? When you say leak how much urine will she pass while she’s asleep? Have you got her on cystophan? She might have an infection after all she’s been through. Use puppy pads on her bed for now but I think she should see the vet again. Let us know how you get on.

Saf16, TriTri and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @Soozi that it would be best to contact your vet again , it is possible that this is not down to the change of litter and more likely to be related to her bladder damage .
    She has come so far poor girl its not surprising that she has had a bit of a set back . Paws crossed that it is just a minor blip and she is soon ,with a bit of help, back on track again

Please let us know how you get on x

Soozi, Saf16 and TriTri like this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @Saf16
    I believe this is a bladder problem and nothing to do with the litter tray or cat litter etc, as others have said. You need to take her back to the vet and get her bladder emptied daily by them, or they may teach you to do it, if you have the confidence and patience. I had a cat with an injury with the same problem. It will be a very traumatic time for your dear cat and it will take time... I had to cover my floors with sheeting and tbh the carpets still got ruined and I ended up making a claim on my insurance for new carpets, under the accidental damage cover. I wonder if she had been jumping up high or moving about too much, not allowing her nerves to heal? She would benefit from being kept in rooms with no furniture that she will be tempted to jump up on. Sometimes vets insist on cage rest. The less stress she has now, the better. Do you have any full length (locked) windows or doors she could have her cat bed put infront of? Preferably somewhere quiet away from passing household members? Good luck.

#4 TriTri, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Soozi and Saf16 like this.
  5. Saf16

Saf16 PetForums Newbie

Hi! I do not think it would be an infection as she recently had an antibiotic jab to combat anything like that, we have not told our vet yet, because she did not seem to concerned with her progress, although we will obviously mention it now when we go down on Thursday! She can leak up to the size of a large dinner plate when resting for long periods of time, although it can be as little as a tea spoon sometimes ! We also do not have to express her bladder at all and the vets do not do it whenever we take her down. I do not know what cystophan is, so I do not think she is on it, although she was on these needle like things we had to squeeze into her mouth in the beginning, but she is currently on metacam, which she has been on since the accident ! We do have puppy pads down and we seem to go through them like wildfire lol! Thank you for your advice, I will definitely update you and my original post when she goes to her next vet appointment!

Soozi likes this.
  6. Saf16

Saf16 PetForums Newbie

I will contact my vet tonight to make an appointment for this week, it is a bit disheartening to think that she was making such big strides in the beginning which have seemed to stop altogether now, we’re really hoping it’s only minor thing and she will be able to catch the mice again! I will be sure to tell everyone the news we hear once we go to the vets!

Soozi and buffie like this.
  7. Saf16

Saf16 PetForums Newbie

Hello! Do you think it’s necessary to empty her bladder daily? I never gave it a thought and did not think it would be helpful because well, there seems like there would be nothing there to empty! She actually has been let out of her cage more, but in the beginning she was on total bed rest, I do have a sneaking suspicion she might not be letting the nerves heal as she is quite an active cat who will not sit still and tries to climb the cage!! She is currently in the family room directly in front of the frenchdoors so she has a perfect view into the garden! We are currently having an extension put onto the house, where there is also full length doors that nobody ever goes into, I wonder if this would be a better place to put the cage ? I read on here that a lady put her cat in the family room to cure boredom and to let the cat feel involved in family life, but our cat does cry a lot and all this makes me wonder now if I’m being a terrible cat parent!! I think I will move the cage for a few nights to see how she goes, I’m also really sorry to here about your cat, and your poor carpets! Luckily, we have wooden floor so insurance should not be an issue ! What happened to your cat? Did she make a recovery? I’m looking forward to your response, and thank you for taking the time to give me lots of advice!

Soozi likes this.
  8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Have a look at vet bed. It's washable and might be better for your incontinent cat than puppy pads

Soozi, buffie and TriTri like this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sending lots of positive vibes Safi's way and keeping everything crossed that things will soon improve for her.
    I wouldn't be to quick to think that there is no infection as it can often prove difficult to identify the correct anti biotic when there is a urinary infection.

Soozi and TriTri like this.
  10. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @Saf16 how is your dear cat? Have you a new appointment booked with your vet? Any update?

My dear Pickles had this 18 years ago and until now I don’t know if a car or a fox caused her injuries. The vet thought there were faint teeth marks and a fox could have got her from behind in their mouth and shaken her. Veterinary treatments & procedures may well have changed a lot since then. She stayed at the vets for the first week (just around the corner from our home and I spent each afternoon with her there, taking in freshly cooked roast chicken and white fish, her favourites which she was happily hand fed). She came home around day 7/8 and on day 13 she finally managed to use her litter tray. Some people say day 13 can be the magic number, so Safi did well on day 3! I have just read your other post and read more about your dear Safi and see your Safi was on cage rest? That’s good. I took Pickles back each day to have her bladder expressed, but have since read that twice a day is better. It’s possible I took her back twice a day, but I seem to vaguely remember it as just once a day and that is probably why the carpets and carpet coverings got ruined! I think cage rest is good up to a certain number of hours a day and then they need a stretch! I lost a cat to a blood clot from laying around too much after an accident with the cat flap that temporarily injured his leg. Safi’s nerves need to heal, so imo lots of rest or cage rest, some walking is good, but no jumping or climbing, but your vet is best placed to advise you further. I believe I read in your other thread that Safi was “bunged up” for 3 days? Please keep an eye on this and update your vet accordingly, even over the phone if need be, they may offer a solution to this, but I think you were due to go back about now, weren’t you? I would also ask the vet if the chipped tooth would be causing any pain and if any dental treatment will be required later on, though I suspect they need to get her over this hurdle first :(. A cat I have now, the vets say, was probably involved in a car accident at some time, poor girl; some make it and some don’t. I hope Safi makes a speedy recovery x

Soozi likes this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@Saf16 How is your girl doing now ,hope all is well.

Soozi likes this.
  12. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Also wondering how Saf is doing. xxx

buffie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice