Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Litter advise needed please.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by one, Mar 1, 2009.

1. one

one PetForums Newbie

Long story short we took in a pregnant cat that had been left behind when someone moved, she had 4 lovely kittens a few days after and has been looking after them really well - can't believe how big they are now at 9 days old. :)

She has been really a really good cat but have found a bit of a prob with the cat litter, the first bag we bought was the normal clumpy cat litter which she used without a problem but after doing a bit of reading we found that we needed to change the litter as the clumpy stuff is not good to use around kittens so we bought a bad of the wooden pellets to use instead. However she does not like it and will only use it after she has searched the house for a way out - which obviously she can't find as we are keeping her in now until she has been spayed. Was woken up this morning with her meowing so went to see what she was doing and found her in the bath having a wee! Told her no and took her downstairs to the litter tray, which she promptly jumped back out of..anyhow just wondered if anyone had any advise on what to do as would like to try and resolve the problem before the kittens start wandering about/needing to use the litter tray themselves.

2. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Maybe she is finding the pellets a bit hard on her feet? They will look elsewhere if they arent happy with the litter then you have problems. Maybe you could try Oko plus or worlds best, these are both very soft litters, a tiny bit of tracking but good litter which is nice for them to stand on.

Izzie

3. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

It's not a good idea to just swap too suddenly to the new litter, it can be confusing for some cats. If she was clean with the clumping litter, better to put that back in the tray for her before she starts toileting really inappropriately and setting up bad habits in your house.
    Then if you want to change to the wood pellet, mix a scoop in with the clumping, gradually adding more and more as she uses it , so the change over is gradual.
    Good luck :)

4. bluechip

bluechip PetForums Senior

i use litter from the pet shop it is a big bag and it is £6.99 i am not sure what it is called but it is the cheapest litter, i breed siamese and all my kittens use this.

we did try the wooden with both my girls and they did not like it so went back to cheapest litter. it is a non clumping and you can get a pink litter as well and it smells nice my girls love it.

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Try Oko Plus, you can get it from P@H. Its wood so babies don't try to eat it, it clumps so less waste, and its in small soft bits so adult cats don't mind it. You can flush the clumps and no 2 s, and compost the rest when you want to change the box completely.

6. one

one PetForums Newbie

I managed to get a small bag of non clumping litter on the way home from work earlier, she sat and watched me take most of the old litter out and once I put the new stuff on top, she got straight in. lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look tomorrow at getting a bigger bag of something for her to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice