Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Listen to the whisper

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 4, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Muttly, cbcdesign, Aahlly and 8 others like this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Excellent!

Makes so much sense - poster should be put up in Vets, School noticeboards, baby clinics, etc.

Breeders should hand a copy to new owners, etc.

The simple message needs to get out there and save so many accidents, not to mention deaths (dogs included).

fernlady and ouesi like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Excellent article.

Anyone who owns a dog should know at least the basics of dog body language.

Unfortunately, I think some people could live with dogs all their lives and never be any wiser about canine body language - they just don't seem to see the obvious.

I have two Sons and the elder one, who is now 38, has instinctively been able to see it from being young, it seems to come naturally to him. When I had a number of terriers, I had to be very vigilant as fights could easily break out. My Son always had one eye on the dogs and would see immediately from the position of a tail, or a pair of ears or subtle signs that a Terrier had it in mind to start some aggravation and he was excellent at stepping in and nipping trouble in the bud without causing a fight.

My younger Son though, who is 33, probably wouldn't have noticed if a four dog punch up had been going on right in front of him. He couldn't read the signs.

fernlady, ouesi, Katalyst and 2 others like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Read and shared on FB.

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

If only more people were aware of the subtle signs. I have shared this on Facebook.

fernlady, ouesi and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

It's been on before but doesn't to remind new members, run the video and watch and listen to it to the end!

http://stopthe77.com/

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Stolen and posted on a group where I've seen about 5 million scary dog/child pics this morning alone :(

8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Will be interesting to see if you get any kind of response and what will be said

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Someone else has replied with another good link about body language and do's and don'ts with kids and dogs. But it'll most likely be ignored the way any other links i post about it are. And people will continue to prop their babies up against their dogs, put them in the dogs bed for a "cuddle", sit them on the dog etc. So many tense dogs, whale eyes, lip licks, laid back ears and so many "ooooh, how cute" and "he loves my little girl/boy" comments.

cbcdesign and fernlady like this.
  10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

True. I keep putting stuff out there though because there are those who will listen, and there are those who already listen to their dogs but might be pressured in to not listening because the voice of those saying it’s okay not to are so loud.

fernlady and Sarah1983 like this.
  11. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

What upsets me about this is that you've then got the school of thought where "dogs can just turn for no reason" and no owness whatsoever is put onto the owners for allowing their dogs to be pushed to the limit.

fernlady and Sarah1983 like this.
  12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Yep, I keep sharing in the hopes that someone, somewhere is taking notice. But honestly, I see so many pics of newborns propped up against dogs on sofas (even without a bite what if the doorbell rings and the dog leaps up??) or being held on a dogs back or stuff like that it's scary. And even if hte dog never bites it's not fair to dog or child to be put in that position is it?

ouesi and fernlady like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice