Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limping puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sophielou96, Apr 20, 2021.

1. sophielou96

sophielou96 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone, I’m hoping someone can advise me for my suddenly limping puppy.

I went to take my 7 month old cocker spaniel pup for her morning walk this morning, and when we got out the front door and off the drive I noticed she was limping on her front paw. I took her back inside and tried to check for any stones or sticks but couldn’t find anything, and I’m thinking it could be a sprained ankle maybe?

She had the zoomies in the house in the early morning which I’m guessing could have resulted in an ankle sprain, but I’m not certain. She often has house zoomies, ever since she was little.

It’s only a slight limp, and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, but it is noticeable. Does a sprained ankle usually resolve itself with rest? I am unsure whether to book a vet appointment or not, and if I should book one then should I book it straight away?

2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

If she can put some pressure on it and isn’t crying or acting different besides the limp, I would just keep and eye on it, stick to short lead walks and keep the exercise to a minimum until it improves. If it doesn’t improve or gets worse over the next few days I would book a vets appointment.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If she’s limping there will be some degree of discomfort or pain, otherwise she’d be level ime, but that’s the body telling her to take it easy.

I would treat her as I would myself .... if weight bearing and able to be mobile, then rest for a few days and see if it improves. Short, calm walks round the garden to stop stiffness but no larking about ;)

If no improvement, ring the vet.

DaisyBluebell, Jason25 and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice