UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My 10 month puppy weimaraner, Started limping on friday night i have no idea how he hurt himself as he was like that when i returned home.
It seemed to improve over the weekend but was really bad this morning to the point where he's holding it up. We have him booked in the vets later but was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Its is hind leg, ive prodded, flexed every inch of his leg and there is no reaction at all. Ive read about cruciate damage but one of the symptoms seems to be sitting with his leg out which he isnt. He doesnt seem to have any problem bending it. just weight bearing. He's his usual happy self.

Any opinions would be helpful im sick with worry until his appointment. :(

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Have you looked at the pads on his paws? sometimes theres a tiny thing in there that can really hurt.Or maybe he's just pulled a muscle which often hurts for a few days.
Hope the vets appointment goes ok.lets us know how you get on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep ive inspected and squeezed his pad with no reaction. Im hoping it is only a sprain. Any idea how long sprains take to heal? Its impossible to keep him still.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, its nice to hear its not necessarily the worst case scenario. Its just worrying thats it been 4 days now and he's still not right. :( Ill let you know how we get on.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I had something similar with Tau a few weeks back, and thought the worst immediately, she was lifting her back foot up off the floor and hopping along. I examined her leg and paw, couldn't find anything and she was fine about it being handled. It turned out to be a scrape on one of her paw pads, just under the edge of the fur. I only knew in the end because I spotted Indie meticulously cleaning Tau's paw, and had a look.

Good luck at the vets, hope it's something as simple as Tau's paw.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we just got back from the vets and she doesnt think its cruciate damage due to the lack of swelling and the fact that he will put weight on it but she wont rule it out yet. We've got a weeks anti inflammatorys and major rest then we have to go back. Hopefully its just a bad sprain. Any tips on keeping a 10 month weimaraner still for a week? :)

G

·
Fingers crossed that this isn't cruciate, but mine originally didn't have swelling and he seemed to be walking fine most of the time.
Cruciate can have several degrees of injury, strain, partial tear and complete tear. I do hope yours is none of these, but rest is very very important.
I do hope it's just a sprain

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there is slight improvement this morning. He's definately weight bearing more on it but lifting slightly when stood still for a long period like eating. Any one know how long before rimadyl takes affect?

Rona, What were your doggys symptoms then? Was it swollen at all? Did he carry his leg right up? or just above th ground?

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update - Been back to the vets this morning and she was impressed with his recovery. He's now fully weight bearing and has stopped lifting the leg. She said she thinks it was more over an overstretched ligament rather than a tear. (she tried the drawer test but couldnt feel anything) She warned though she cannot rule out it happening again.

We've got another week of rimadyl and rest then if all is ok she'll give him the all clear. Relieved but cautious of letting him play again.

Rona - I asked about hydrotherapy and dhe said it would be great for him, so were looking into it now.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.