Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limping puppy not healing

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Orca2020, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Orca2020

Orca2020 PetForums Newbie

I have a 12 week old border collie puppy that has been limping on her front leg for almost 4 weeks now. She's weight bearing on the leg, no obvious pain, swelling or stiffness when you feel down the leg and do a flexion test.

Due to lockdown the first time she could be physically examined by the vet was a week ago when she had her 2nd vaccination. He thought that she had a sprain/strain but as she's so high energy, she just wasn't giving it a chance to heal.

He has given us metacam and told us to cage rest her for a month. We're trying our best to only let her out on short garden walks on the lead, she's understandably very hyper when we get her out so although we try and stop it she is still trying to run, jump mad play. Overall her activity levels are down 90%.

The cage rest is really tough on us all and I'm a bit disheartened because it's been a week and I'm not seeing any improvement. Is this normal? Should I be giving metacam at a different time of day? Icing the leg? Or what else could it be if not a sprain/strain?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One of my dogs - she's 10 now - slipped on some mud and did front-end splits. That would have been early March probably, and she's only now got to the point where the limp is not really obvious. If it's a ligament injury, they do take a long time to heal. And yes, cage rest is tough. You can make it easier by giving her food twisted up in bits of paper so she has to find it and open the wrapping. That at least would be some entertainment for her.
    If there's no improvement inanother 4 weeks, I'd be looking at getting an X-ray to ensure the joints are properly together and it's nothing like elbow displaysia (not all that common in collies) or a dislocation (but the vet should have noticed that).

3. Animalfan

Animalfan PetForums Senior

Personally, I would go back to the vet. To be on Metacam and still be limping means it is still painful. She wouldn’t be limping if it didn’t hurt.
    If there is a tiny fracture or something similar it could affect the way that bone develops.
    On the other hand, as stated above it may just be a ligament sprain/strain but the only way to find out for sure is by an xray and I dont think I would like to wait in hope.

Kakite and Happy Paws2 like this.
  4. Orca2020

Orca2020 PetForums Newbie

I think in normal circumstances things would have moved faster but vets are only seeing emergency cases and vaccinations atm. If she doesn't improve by the time she has her next vaccination (3 weeks) then we are going to xray her. She was pretty chilled yesterday and I gave her the metacam at lunch, I think the limp looks to be improving this morning so fingers crossed!

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or that there's been contraction of the tissues as part of the healing, and extending back to the former range would take time and physio.
    I had contraction of a tendon after a knee injury. It didn't hurt after the first few days, but I had a limp for ages and still can't straighten my knee fully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice