Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limping Cocker Spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Donk1166, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Donk1166

Donk1166 PetForums Newbie

My 5 1/2 year old working cocker spaniel has been limping for a few days now. I can only think that he twisted something when he jumped off the settee. He doesn't seem to be in any pain & the limp comes & goes. At what point should I think about taking him to the vet?
    I took him out for a walk today & he was galloping around like a greyhound. Towards the end of the walk the limp came back.
    Any ideas?

2. donnas1977

donnas1977 PetForums Senior

Hi there, I would get him checked out sooner than later. I have a spaniel who was similar and turned out she has hip dyspepsia and athritis. She was around 7 when diagnosed. She ran around fine but was only when resting we noticed a change.

I could possibly be wrong but best to check him over.

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Never ignore limping as you can't see the extent of the damage without a visit to the vet to find out what. Better safe then sorry :>

Animals hide pain well its a natural instinct of survival.

4. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Our little working type cockers are some of the toughesr little bugg--r-s that you can find, they can do so much damage to themselves yet never make a big fuss about it. (brave little soldiers ! )
    If he was mine, and still limping after a few days, I would probably pop into the vet's to find out what the problem is !

Good luck.

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I'd take him to the vets. If it's soft tissue damage (pull or tear) you could be creating even more problems by letting him run about. He may need resting to give the injury time to heal.

6. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

Limping can also be caused by a back injury - due to nerve pain travelling down the leg. Allowing a dog to be active when you dont know what the injury is can make things a whole lot worse.

Also when dogs get very excited or "wound up" i.e going for their walk etc. they produce large amounts of adrenaline which acts as a very strong natural painkiller - thats why a lot of injured dogs will seem fine when they go out for their walks. Its also why symptoms can suddenly "disappear" when they go to the vet - they get " wound up " and their system gets flooded with adrenaline. I would go to the vet as soon as you can at this stage.

7. Donk1166

Appointment booked for tomorrow, fingers crossed that it's nothing serious & my boy is ok

8. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

Best of luck let us know how you get on:)

9. Donk1166

Vet thinks it is ligament damage, nothing serious hopefully. Lead walking for a week & anti-inflammatories should help. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice

10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Not too bad then, that's good, let's hope the treatment works!

Good luck. :)

11. donnas1977

donnas1977 PetForums Senior

Sounds not to bad. Fingers crossed the medication works fine :smile5:

12. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

Glad it doesn't seem to be serious. Good luck with the week of lead-walking - that could be a challenge with a wcs!

Best wishes to him, let us know how he gets on :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice