Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limping border collie

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lauramc, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Lauramc

Lauramc PetForums Newbie

Hi. My 11 month border collie has developed a really bad limp on one of his back legs. He is practically a 3 legged dog at the moment! Not sure if he is a hypochondriac as he has had 3 separate limps on 3 different paws in the last 3-4 weeks although this one seems worse than the previous two. I have checked his pads and felt all around his paw and leg and can't see or feel any problems. He isn't whining when I touch it but I have seen him chewing at his paw a few times leading up to the limp. Any ideas or is it a trip to the vet?
    Thanks

2. Stephen&Dogs

Stephen&Dogs PetForums VIP

Wrong place for a thread like this, Check dog chat.

3. Lauramc

Lauramc PetForums Newbie

I have a 11 month old border collie who has developed a severe limp on his back leg. He will go for a walk fairly normally but around the house is only putting weight on his other 3 paws. Not sure if he is a hypochondriac as he has had 3 limps on 3 different paws over the last 3-4 weeks. I have checked his pads and felt all around his paw and leg without him flinching. Any ideas or is it a trip to the vet?
    Thanks

4. Lauramc

Lauramc PetForums Newbie

Thanks just found that!

5. rona

rona Guest

How long has the limp been going on?
    I would cut out the walks altogether for a day or two and if the leg is still bad, go to the vet.
    Some dogs are wimps and will overreact, others tough it out, but most hide it if are doing something they love

6. Stephen&Dogs

Stephen&Dogs PetForums VIP

He could have Hip dysplasia as it is common in border collie's, Although I'm no vet but I would pop down to the nearest vet as soon as possible.

7. Lauramc

Lauramc PetForums Newbie

Thanks both. Will see how he goes for a day or two and then make a trip to the vet. The thing that made me waver on the vet is the fact that he has had two other short lived limps in the last couple of weeks. They are too clever these collies some times so wasn't sure if it was an attention seeking ploy!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice