Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limp after excercise

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mumbles, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

We took toodles on an hour walk on saturday morning and when got back he was limping slightly, so i check him other for cuts, thorns, swelling etc and nothing so thought would check on him later and headed out to get my errands done.

By the time i got back 3 hours later he was not walking on it at all just hopping around. Double checked he again, feeling both back legs to compare one against the other and moving it around to see if it caused him any irritation and he didn't seem bothered, so double checked with dad to see what he thought if i should take him to emergency vet. Dad said wait and see how it goes as he doesn't appear to be in pain.

Sunday morning he was still limping but putting foot down every now and then and then by sunday afternoon he was running round on it fine, though i didn't take him for a walk as thought best give him a bit of rest.

Has anyone else experienced this, as he seems fine now, do you know what causes it?

2. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

My nextdoor neighbour had something similar with her Tibetian Mastiff. It turned out she has luxating patella (the dog not my neightbour). She had an operation and is fine now, but just can't jump much.

I suppose it could be a whole host of things. I hope he's ok.

3. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

A couple of my dogs did this, I put it down to a sprain or a strain of some kind if there is nothing visible. I was told to give one of them a week's rest and onlead in the garden and it made no difference, so I just went back to taking him out and it resolved itself. When my other terrier did the same thing, he had lead walks for a couple of days then we went back to normal and it again resolved itself.

If I can walk on a sprained ankle for 6 weeks I don't see why the dogs can't.

Obviously if anybody is ever worried about their dog they should go to see a vet. I've been looking after dogs professionally for over 6 years and for small wounds and limps etc can recognise what a vet can fix and what only time can fix.

4. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Well he seems fine now, it was just that it had happened a couple of times, he does zoom around so sprained ankle or dead leg or something where he has hit it probably makes sense.

5. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

My old dogs used to ocassionally have a limp like that after running on ploughed fields. It's probably easy for them to twist their equivalent of an ankle same as we do. As long as it clears up I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening to the same leg.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice