Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

limes disease

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by james1, Jul 19, 2009.

1. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Can anyone give advice or tell me what the sympoms are of this, any dog that has had it and how their recovery was?

Many thanks

2. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I have not experienced it in my own dogs ,thankfully,but have had this discussion with my vet and been told initial signs are a shifting lameness and a fever.

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

thanks, id like to know more about the shifting, my spaniel has a lameness in his left front leg - a lot has been spent on him without any real diagnosis being made, recently he looks wobbly all over - lifting his right paw as if in pain and sometimes alternating his weight on his rear..... i dont think hes been tested for limes. ?
    his muscles are also hot and he seems breathless after very little exercise

4. bucksmum

I believe the lameness can come and go and the dog can be infected for a fair while before diagnosis as symptoms are not always severe.There is normally a fever and the lymph nodes may be enlarged.It is caused by a bacteria which the tick carries so is treated with antibiotics and is diagnosed by blood testing.

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

weve spent a fortune diagnosing whats the matter with him - i dont know if im clutching at straws though asked the vet (whos getting back to us) if he had been tested.
    where are the lymph nodes

Cheers

6. bucksmum

I don't know how old your spaniel is.In the last 12 months i have lost two terriers one aged 16 the other 17 who both,due to thier old age had varying degrees of arthritis in hips,back and shoulders,and their lameness sounds quite similair to your boys.Lymes is obviously playing on your mind so maybe a blood test may put your mind at rest.They know how to worry us don't they?!

7. bucksmum

The lymph nodes are inthe neck underneath the back of the jaw,one either side and in the chest at the top of shoulder blade.There are several others around the body but these are the easiest to feel,BUT please don't panic if they are up a bit as this can be down to a number of things.

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Ill have a feel about .
    Weve put over 3k into him in just a few months and everything has come back either negative or normal, arthritis is there but nothing significant - he looks like a 5yr old on xray by all counts, hes 11. his bloods will be done if they havent tested for this already very soon!! hes been tested for eveything else

9. bucksmum

What a worry for you.The only other time i've had anything similair was a spaniel with vestibular syndrome which affected his balance but i would imagine your vet has already thought of that one.

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

i meant hes had a lot of blood tests done - not that hes been tested for everything. Any others with any knowledge?

11. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Sorry james i'm no help but hope you get him sorted soon.

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

any help or suggestions?

cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice