Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Limb amputation H E L P?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by BethRW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. BethRW

BethRW PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    So my cat got into a fight around a week ago and the wound turned into cellulitis pretty quickly, the swelling has been very bad on his back left leg and now the infection is running up his leg with the skin starting to die.
    We’ve been given the option of keeping on with antibiotics and seeing how it goes with the potential of a limb amputation at the end or amputate now.
    And the vet recommended we amputate.

I feel so awful for him but the infection is getting worse and the swelling hasn’t reduced atall!
    Has anyone else been in this position from an infection As I see most limb amputations are from breakages due to attacks or crashes.

Thanks

ps, sorry for the graphic images!
    It just give more of an idea
    Pic 1 Mon 24th August 2020
    Pic 2 Weds 26th August 2020
    Pic 3 Tue 1st Sept 2020
    1 week difference and on antibiotics

Attached Files:

2. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

Oh poor boy. Sorry I have no experience of this but hopefully someone will come along soon with some advice. Hope you can get him sorted soon xx

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would take the vets advice. He will be in pain, and I think that letting it continue could lead to more problems. Cats manage very well on 3 legs, especially when it's a back leg that's been lost. I'd also take steps to prevent him going out of my garden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice