Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lily Pollen

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gemlin83, Sep 17, 2020.

1. gemlin83

gemlin83 PetForums Newbie

Hello, first post here.
    I was just looking for some guidance about Alfie my little 8month kitty.
    I caught him last night attempting to play with a broken of lily head. ( I got the flowers for my birthday, kept in a room he does not normally have access too).

I noticed immediately and took the flower from him, he had not bit or chewed or eaten any of the flower, so I stupidly thought nothing more of it and put the flowers in the bin.

However a few hours later I noticed he had a small amount of staining by and on his nose. I washed his face, but the staining is still there a little.

I have been up with him all night to spot any signs of poisoning.
    Its now been nearly 9 hours and he is absolutely fine and showing no symptoms, in fact he is currently running round with my birthday balloon!!

I will call the vet as soon as it opens but I just wanted to ask if any one could offer me any reassurance.
    He has been my lockdown hero and I would be devastated should anything happen to him.

Thank you,
    Gemma

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

He may be fine but I'd give the vet a call and ask their advice.

3. gemlin83

Thank you. Vet opens in half hour, I can still see staining in the crese of his nose but he won't let me get it.
    I may ask if I can take him in for a check up anyway as I'm a paniced kitty momma at the moment!

4. gemlin83

Little Alfie is now at the vets, 48-72 hours on a drip with regular blood tests. Feeling awful right now. I always keep him away from ALL flowers just in case, I make one mistake and now he may have a battle on his paws to recover.
    Never getting flowers again, ever.

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Hopefully Alfie will be ok and no harm will have been done, but a salient lesson learned.

I hate lilies with a passion and it's so annoying that nearly all bouquets of flowers come with them in!

chillminx, gemlin83 and lymorelynn like this.
  6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Sending positive thoughts for Alfie

gemlin83 likes this.
  7. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Everything crossed for Alfie x

gemlin83 likes this.
  8. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Please keep us updated, I think we’re all anxious to hear how Alfie’s getting on. You’ve done all the right things. With lilies, even if they’re not showing any symptoms it’s still best to take them to the vets. Sending positive thoughts and keeping fingers, toes, arms and legs all crossed xx

9. gemlin83

Thank you all. Just had update from the vet, he is showing no signs of deterioration and his blood work has come back clear for now. The vet is now going to try him with a bit of food and will call me back in a few hours.
    I'm feeling hopeful but very aware things can change quite quickly.
    I really appreciate your messages. Thank you.
    Will keep you all updated.

10. gemlin83

Update - Alfie is doing well. He has not become unwell or shown any signs of poisoning despite them removing yellow pollen from his nose. He has also stolen the hearts of all the staff!

As the vet practice is not 24 hours and the out of hours is miles away and I don't drive, the vet was happy for him to come home for the night, and return tomorrow first thing to go back on the drip.
    First thing he did when he got home was run to the litter tray, followed by his food bowl!!

The vet has been wonderful and does not have concerns about him currently.
    I have been given signs to watch out for and I would have to get my partner off his night-shift to try and get him to an emergency out of hours, but the vet feels he will have a settled night.
    Doubt I will though! I will be watching him like a hawk!

Back on the drip tomorrow and a repeat blood test on Saturday, so keeping everything crossed nothing changes and there is no kidney damage.

Attached Files:

11. lymorelynn

Staff Member

So pleased to hear that he's doing well.

12. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Fabulous news!! Look at his adorable little face :Happy

13. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Member

Heart goes out to you x Same thing happened with mine... Not a day goes by when I am not thankful we got away with it ( other than a £2k vet bill) have not had flowers in my house since...

14. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

What a gorgeous boy, good news so far... keep us informed please

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice