Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lily is really poorly :-(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chrissysarah, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

Hi, I am just letting you know how I feel ... I have to put a brave face on for the kids as they are so worried and my son keeps saying "is lily going to be alright?". I'm worried too !

Thur Lily seemed normal but a bit tired at bedtime Had one episode of sloppy poo. Fri am she seemed tired and after letting her out for a wee, more loose stools, she went straight back to bed. Wasnt interested in going for a walk, she normally has a routine where she plays and is so excited for hour, then has a sleep. I just thought maybe a not so good night so she was tired. One more loose stools, not eating her food all day. in the afternoon she felt hot so I encouraged her to drink. She didnt have a problem drinking on fri.
    Sleepy on fri evening . Sat am, went straight to her crate after a wee and looses stool... straight to vets!!
    Vet gave her an antiinflamitory injection to bring her temp down (?).. and she has five days metronidazole 100mg twice daily. Also some cain food he sold me. He says she is not well, her temp was 40.3 at the vets. He mentioned throught the consultation what a high temp it was for her ,, six times.. yes i know its high:-(...
    Anyway, she wolfed the first part of her new food down, small meals through the afternoon night and seemed a touch brighter. My cousin came round and she was after hugs and cuddles and playing a bit.
    Really really wanted to sleep wiht her but thought she might wonder w hy s he upstairs ( she not allowed upstairs ) instead of her crate. So crated her.
    This am, went down, she had been sick in her cage in the corner, all the food she ate yesterday. Went for very long wee,, refused to drink.She has had and kept down her antibiotic for sure.
    Basically for two hours she refused to drink, Had loose stool, touch of mucus no b lood, then she now ( and till now) just waterery drips, possibly mucus? From the two hours i have syringed some water into her, and she was sick about hour ago. Took her temp and its 39.3 so lower but she still sleepy.
    If the temp high and obviously if not drinking, i will be taking her back, he asked to see her if temp not down but of course i would do it anyway.
    I have had some damp flannels on her to cool her down,,,

So.. i know you cant make her better but i know you will all understand how upset i am.

Do you have any ideas / suggestinons? Im a nurse and ace with sick kids,, my other dog was NEVER ill,,, so totally at a loss.
    My plna is to try to get her to drink, syringe if necessary, take her temp in the am.. possibly have her sleep on blanket with me tongiht upstiars if needed. She doesnt move much from when you put her down, just looks at you.

Chrissy xx:(

ps did i say the vet didnt know what it was,, we dont think she has eaten something doodgy cos she really is supervised in the garden if she sneaked anything, but i keep anything bad on top shelp and its all still there. NO meds around in house, no human food, all wormed and vaccinated up to date... nothing i can pin point. Vet did say that if temp not down by monday then we could be looking at something nasty.....

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'd give the emergency vet a call now to be honest, if she was mine, I wouldn't leave her like that until Monday. I hope she's ok.

3. Babydumpling

Babydumpling PetForums Junior

Ring your Vets Asap, and ask them to test her kidneys, this might sounds wierd, but thats the sort of symptoms my dog had and they didnt check her kidney toxins until 2 weeks after antibiotics and the toxins had got to high.
    Not trying to scare you but unless you ask them they don't just do it.
    Just to make sure she's not got renal failure or high levels of toxins in her kidneys - not filtering her wee properly.
    Ask for - blood samples, kidney bloods,toxin levels, etc.

Kidneys cant repair themselves like liver can and so the quicker you get this done the more chance they can fix the issue for you. or at least cancel out this chance.

hope she gets well soon xxx

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

With high temperature still and if she is losing fluids through loose stools and
    vomiting some of the water up, then she cold be at high risk from dehydration. Added to the fact shes not got that high water intake in the first place. Dehydration is really the main concern. If its bacterial infection, then likelyhood antibiotics will bring the temp down as they start to work. If its viral then it would have to take its course.

I would ring the vets now to be honest, and tell them her current status, she could possibly need re hydrating on a drip if it gets too bad. If you "pull up" the loose skin on her back, it should spring back if she is hydrated. If it stays up too long and goes down slow, then thats usually a sign they are dehydrated. Also check the colour of her gums, they should be pink. If you push against the gum with your index finger, it should blanch where you pressed, the capillary action should refill in a second or two. If the gums are pale and the capillary refill is slow, then thats not a good sign. Check the whites of her eyes they should be white with no yellow tinge.

If she is not better though regardless of all the above being clear I really think its worth a call to see what the vet thinks.

5. Chrissysarah

Thanks so much all of you. She is still hydrated ( skin goes back very quickly on the back) eyes white not yellow and gums ok. I will give the vet a ring to see what they have to say anyway x thanks so much x

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Let us know what they say won't you, all fingers and paws crossed here.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Paws crossed here too!

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I hope she is ok.
    May be ask the vet if you could pick up some hydration sachets from somewhere and syringe that into her. Probably best to starve her until tomorrow to let her tum settle but the vet is the best person to advise you.

Try not to worry too much. Mine had a nasty tum bug a couple of months ago and it really knocked her sideways. Lets hope it's something similar with Lily and she will soon be back right again.:D

9. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

Was gonna say get her liver & kidneys tested, thats how my girl started with the runs, severly dehydrated, hers was caused by her medication, not trying to scare you, but i lost her.:(:(:(

10. Sled dog hotel

There is lectade oral rehydration therapy which promotes intestinal absorbtion of water and electrolytes, similar to the human diarolyte but probably a different make up for animals. ive looked on line for you because I should think you can make a version yourself, but all I could find was human emergency ones. The sugar and salt content to make the human ones I would suspect would be far too much for dogs though, so wouldnt like to risk it. Lectade is worth keeping in though for the doggie first aid kit. Liquivite is also something worth keeping in its a canned liquid food for use during recovery from illness injury or surgery.
    You may be able to get both from places like pets at home or the vets but you can get both online Vet-Medic - the same medicines as your vet at consistently low prices.

11. Have not read any post barring the first one, so if there has been any developments then please excuse me.

you know the importance of keeping the fluid intake up. Think I would perhaps call the vet again - has he ruled out the possiblilty of a blockage?

Sincerely hope to hear better news on this asap.
    DT

12. Chrissysarah

Thank you to all of you... When i finally got through to ring the vet Lily was doing better with her water, still not much & her temp is down to 38.8 which it appears is within normal ranges. I have to ring if she is still ill tomorrow..
    So she has since then had her vet food with her medicine in it.. had a bit more later on.. kept it all down.. still not drinking lots so giving her some by syringe hourly.
    I love all the advice you have given and i have made a point of noting it all .. for future reference if i ever ( hopefully not) need it. I do think its a good idea to have some dog rehydrate sachets in definitely.
    We still not out of the woods but will be ringing vet again tomorrow to check on her.. see how she is.

thanks to you all for being here.. its been so worrying this weekend, just cried in the garden this morning i felt so helpless... right now she is in a comfortable sleep ( you know what i mean not restless or ill sleep)... sleeping at my feet. She has had some more food ( a small amount)...and is resting..... Pheww.... Thanks for being here and will let you know how she is tomorrow xx

13. Sled dog hotel

Glad you have seen an improvement this afternoon. They are a worry. Looks like the medication is beginning to kick in now and doing its job. keep us posted.x

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

That's good news, fingers crossed she'll continue to improve overnight. It's horrible when they are poorly isn't it, keep us posted please.

15. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

You dont EVER have to thank us for being here
    -thats what this is all about-we are here for each other -good times or bad times
    ( we lost our collie cross Lulu 11 weeks ago and without support from people who understand I dont know where I would have been today .
    Hope to hear good news about Lily-if not -then please tell us -we are here for you
    thinking of you and big hugs for Lily
    Maureen

16. Chrissysarah

Thank you anyway :)
    its 10.15 and in the past hour little madam has been asking for some more food.. whihc i gave her mixed with rice and she loved it. She also...
    Drum roll please.....
    She drank water on her own ! Out of her own bowl ! I am so relieved... after doing over six hours of syringe drinking !!!!
    So now i have a little madam who is much more lively, having the odd bounce and bark at me after attention. And she can have it lol....
    I knwo I need to keep an eye on her still... she is not better and will be up and down but drinking ! yeah !!!

So I am drinking one glass wine to celebrate hehe.. So SO relieved.... really thought first thing that she wasnt going to be here tomorrow... but they are like babies that they can go up and down so quickly cant they ?

I know i dont really need to say t hank you.. but thank you xx It helps massively xxx :)

17. Relieved to hear that Lily is on the mend!:)
    Way to go Lily!
    You'll have then there humans wrapped around your paw:D
    DT

18. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Just seen this thread.

Glad to hear Lily is getting better. Sending her lots of healing vibes and get well wishes and a big hug for a worried mummy xx

19. Sled dog hotel

glad to hear she is improving even more.

20. Chrissysarah

Just about to ring the vet again,, not drinking again although not dehydrated ( syringing water),, is flipping eating rice & chicken, poos harder .. but temp has just gone up again.. ringing for advice! Has some attitude about her though and will "play " and bark at you.. then goes back to her crate... I know thats not her..
    thanks for your concern will let you know how she is xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice