Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lilli too agressive :o(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wiley80, Apr 30, 2011.

1. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Lilli isn't improving any with her agression i'm afraid...in the last few days she has bitten everyone that has approached her and seems to get worse by the day :(
    Having had 3 stitches in my face yesterday from a bite,she went and bit my leg today,actually drawing blood again...luckily i had my tetanus jab yesterday...it's gotten to the stage where niether me or her new owner will go near her,there is no way we can let her around the kids or other dogs...we have been in touch with 2 breed rescues and none of them are able to help with her.
    I feel defeated,2 days ago she had a good life ahaed of her...today,who knows what will happen???:(:(:(

2. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Poor Lilli, as you say at moment it is not safe for her to be around kids or other dogs - it really makes you wonder what kind of life she has had :(

You must be so upset about this after we were all thinking she would get a better life and especially when you were wanting to help her and you have got bitten in the process. Isn't sounding very positive for her future at the moment is it?

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Have you taken her to the vets, there may be a underlying problem, or he may be able to give you some advise.

4. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Wow that's Terrible Hope you are ok? What Breed is Lili?

5. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Im so sorry to hear Lillu is having so many problems. The last few days must of been so chaotic for her :-( I dread to think what she has been through. Has she had a check up at the vet? I really hope she can learn to trust and with time to love. Poor lil girl, she must b so scared.

6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Can I suggest a couple of strategies that might help? I have difficult dogs and this has worked for us.
    Ignore the dog.
    Don`t even look at her.
    Give her a quiet place and simply leave her. For weeks if necessary.
    Clear up accidents without comment. Put her food down and go away.
    If she is aggressive with others in the house use baby gates to allow them safety.
    The first approach must be from her. When she does venture forward, avert your eyes and don`t react.
    Try a DAP diffuser and feed her a diet that includes no colourings or additives. Feed twice a day to prevent hunger making her irritable.
    Keep your house calm (difficult I know).
    And well done for trying to help this poor girl.
    When she is no longer tense and afraid, then you can start to work with her. But it takes a dog a long time to learn to trust.

7. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Thanks for your replies,i will take on board some of your suggestions,especially now that as of tonight Lilli will be staying with me...her breeder just cannot cope as she has a year old baby and is scared of her getting hurt...oh dear,i really hope we can turn her around...it will be difficult tho as i have a litter of puppies due soon :(
    I am going to pick her up soon and will get her booked into the vets first thing tuesday morning as its bank holiday :confused:

8. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

She is shih tzu and i'm fine thanks...i'm more worried about the poor dog.

9. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Awww bless her I really hope all goe's ok :(

10. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Try not to get upset. Leave her to settle in for a bit. We used to get dogs in the kennels all the time that were nightmares at first.
    One of the little dogs we got in would turn on its back and snarl its teeth so that you couldn't get near it. It took days for us to gain its confidence and be able to just put a lead on it. It settled down eventually it was just in the self protection mode and was terrified of the unknown. It thought we were going to hurt it and was not going to let us get near it.

I know that the others have said this but just leave her to settle down for a few more days and when the fear has subsided she will be more calm. Speak calmly and just try not to touch her but throw treats near her to gain her confidence. I would not try to put a lead on her or get hold of her for the time being.
    I will talk to my friend tomorrow who has lots of experience with agressive fearful dogs and see what she says.

11. Snuggles

Snuggles PetForums Senior

Some brilliant advice from ClaireandDaisy. :)

Lilli has had a couple of very traumatic days and really needs some space to come around in her own time.

Despite how rubbish her life was, it was all she knew and it's completely understandable for her to be confused and displaying aggression. She's been neglected, is only 2 and potentially having her 3rd litter so I can't imagine she's seen very much in her short life. Bless her. :(

I've found that dogs I've cared for who have been abused normally react in one of three ways in a new environment.

Some seem almost grateful for rescue, eager to explore the world around them and despite what people may have done still wear their heart on their sleeve and a big grin on their faces.

Others shut down. If they have the option of flight, they will take it but if they don't have an escape route they will just freeze in the hope that the scary thing goes away.

Some will come out fighting. If they are pushed beyond the realms of their comfort zone they will protect themselves using the only things available to them which is a growl or teeth. I think you said she was fine when she first arrived at yours? If that's the case, it sounds like she's overwhelmed, feeling completely pushed out of her comfort zone and is more than likely lashing out through fear.

From her point of view over the last few days her owner has left her with someone while they have gone on holiday, she arrived at your house, she's then gone back to the breeders house where it sounds like she's been thrown into the deep end of family life and met her parents etc. She's had a bath, a trim and ticks pulled from her and now she's on her way back to yours.

She's going to be wondering which way up she is.

I've obviously not met her but from what you've said, in spite of the bites I wouldn't have her labelled as too aggressive just yet. I suspect given some space and time, you will get to meet the 'real' Lilli and I would be very surprised if she is anything like the Lilli you are currently dealing with. :)

Do you have the space to keep her separate from everyone/everything until she starts to find her feet? I'm also wondering if it would be possible to arrange a home visit by the vet to keep stress to a minimum?

Well done for giving Lilli a chance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and really hope that it works out for both you and her. :)

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Well done to you for giving Lilli the chance of a new and better life.

As the others have said I would give her time to settle down if you can somewere quiet were she can just settle and readjust to her new life. She has ahd a lot of changes to her life in the last few days and especially being pregnant will be feeling very stressed out and unsure of herself which may be why she is biting.

We have 2 foster dogs with us at the moment and although they are not being aggressive towards us they have known us and stayed with us before. They are however being aggressive towards my dogs. They have been put into a crate in the corner of the room and have just been given time they are now happy to just lie there sleeping when the iggies are plying and last night we started to introduce the others into the room.

Take things slowly with her and she will hopefully settle down and start to enjoy her new life.

13. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Well last night was...well...a tough one,Lilli barked all night,which set my lot off barking,which woke the whole house up many times :(
    I've put her in my laundry room with a baby gate to the door so she doesnt feel totally excluded,but everytime she sees anyone she growls and snarls like mad :confused:
    We are all so scared to go near her at the moment and i know it's gonna take time for her to settle,but i feel awful keeping her in there but i really dont know what to do with her right now,she needs to make a turn around pretty damn fast as i will soon have a litter of 7 puppies to deal with too :(
    I feel so helpless.

14. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Can you not speak to the boy you got her off from and see if he can give you any more history on her?

See if this is something she has been doing all the time? or is it because she may have been ill-treated and is one scared little girl?

Hopefully when you can get her to vets after Bank hols that may also rule out any underlying problems that may be causing her to lash out.

Feel for you as you were just being a good Samaritan.

15. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I really hope it works out for you, but remember that the Dog Trust have a place called the Sanctuary that is a haven for dogs that are unable to cope with the stress of being around people.

16. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I don't want to give up on her at all and i will try and do my best for her...maybe i have bitten off more than i can chew but i have to at least try...i predict lot's of blood,sweat and tears in the coming months,but hey she deserves a chance :)

17. Snuggles

Snuggles PetForums Senior

I was just thinking about Lilli and wondering how she is doing today? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice