Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lilac parents both carrying colourpoint

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Holly BtoB, Nov 27, 2019.

1. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If you mean Pluto's offspring, it is interesting that apparently he only sired the one litter to other than Siamese and Oriental.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I did.

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

What's interesting about a shorthaired - BSH - breed is that a lot of breeders are very anti eliminating long hair carriers from the gene pool (there was discussion at BAC level when the BLH was recognised).

Again, I'm not convinced (lack of evidence) but it's felt that the presence of the longhair gene gives the BSH its coat qualities and without it, over many generations, the coat would become flat and sleek.

4. OrientalSlave

I guess there may be some polygenes close enough to lh on the chromosome they tend to travel with it, but dna testing a number of cats with a fab coat might disprove the theory. How many would need a statistician which I'm not.

gskinner123 likes this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I very much hope that the BLH continues. I saw a silver tipped BLH yesterday, which was a dream to handle and had the wow factor.

I wonder are breeders put off the BLH because its type is much harder to see through the fur?

6. OrientalSlave

I think the BLH will be very popular. One was best section 3 neuter at the Supreme. People who bemoan what the modern Persian is should like it, though the coat texture should be very different to the Persian.

7. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I would imagine the coat is more manageable that a Persian's floof

8. OrientalSlave

I imagine so though I'm not sure how variable it is at present. And I gather Persian coats vary, some needing more upkeep than others. Thankfully all osh need is hand grooming aka stroking. A bicolour might need feet washing so they are white, and paler entires might need their scrotum wiping if it's stained. Basils had a yellow stain from woodchip litter

9. gskinner123

I am not sure that their popularity as a pet will ever really take off and I do SO hope that breeders aim to ensure a manageable coat.

I think a few semi longhaired breeds have grown in popularity (apart from temperament and other factors that people choose on) because they are fairly natural looking breeds with coats that are relatively easy to care for. People are busy; they work increasingly long hours and many people don't want the commitment of a high maintenance coat.

Believe me...very, very many BLH have extremely high maintenance coats.

spotty cats likes this.
  10. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

What is it that's high maintenance, do they know easily?

11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

They look a lovely pale cream to me.

Tetley&Kenco likes this.
  12. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Senior

Yes I agree, complete opposite to their dark brothers!

13. gskinner123

I have owned two and bred a number over the years although under BSHv registration which, as I'm sure you know, is the same thing.

Many have all the qualities of a good BSH coat being incredibly thick/dense with lots of woolly undercoat in combination with a long silky top coat.

Blink, and the undercoat develops small matts that you cannot leave; it's the 'dry' woolly quality of the undercoat that is problematical.

Several of my kittens have gone to homes with an existing BLH. All three owners said the same - they had Persians many years ago but did not like how typy they had become and thought that a BLH would be similar to an old fashioned Persian but with a semi long hair, easier to groom coat. All three have to use professional groomers.

Not all are this difficult of course but very many are and I would personally like too see more candidness from some breeders when selling these kittens.

14. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Ah I'm with you now, thank you. It wasn't something I was aware of before, but it makes sense. Presumably they use groomers for clipping as well as combing?

15. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Funnily enough I've spoken about this with several of my friends who breed BLH. All of them said that BLH coats were 'difficult'.

I agree with you that pet people don't want high maintenance coats. I've noticed it with the Persians (people ask if they really have to brush them every day) and it's been given as a reason why several of my Persian breeding friends have switched, either completely or mostly, to Exotics.

16. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I only know a handful of BLH as most breeders have bred out the carriers, the coats are dreadful to maintain and are clipped most of the time to keep it more manageable.

17. gskinner123

I try, for the most part, to keep my head down nowadays re the BLH. Their fairly recent recognition by GCCF was acrimonious.

Every time I voiced an opinion I was accused of not "liking" them. So apart from the manner in which they were recognised (which I did disagree with)...yes, their coats can be an utter disaster for people

18. OrientalSlave

Is this because many BLH don't have the correct coat? Of is the correct coat a problem?

19. gskinner123

I don't know the answer to that. They are very new and I guess it would take time to develop the right coat, more consistently....

.....if ever. Due to the manner in which they were recognised, there is zero incentive to develop them as the new stand alone breed because 'dual purpose' breeding was allowed - ie one may register and show BSH and BLH from within the same litter. Many of us did not see how one could be doing the best for both breeds - one a long hair one a shorthair.

Under GCCF registration I can count dedicated BLH breeders on one hand.

20. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

My friend has Floofy a BLH. He is wonderful but yes his coat is high maintenance. He is 3 generations BSH with an EXO back 4 generations. He is a show cat and has done very well. I live his squishy face, he reminds me of old style Persians

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice